Ban Surface dressing of roads, sign the Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrWill

They have just done about half the roads within 20 miles of me like this. Nightmare. My cars got loads of little nicks and new bike tyres are not far from ruined after a few weeks.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think maybe "encourage other methods of road maintenance" might be better than "ban". There has to be a credible alternative proposed.

Petition could also do with tidying up for grammar and the statements in it could do with backing up. It reads like someone's got a chip* on their shoulder.

*See what I did there?

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Once councils get enough money from the government to repair and upkeep the roads, then I will agree with the sentiment, but my understanding is that funds for roads are well below what each council needs so they have to make do. I don't like surface dressing either, but it does eventually bed down and with a finite amount of cash, councils often do the best they can.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Done...
Shredded a back tyre recently on a newly done back road...
Roads here are being slowly repaired more dependant on post code than state of road...
Our council roads dept. admit they haven't a clue what they have done and still need to do....

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Done - it is a complete waste of money, roads are bald and in a worse state within a year or so. All too often the roads are top dressed without any remedial work being done first = holes full of chippings. The passage of traffic is supposed to help bed-in the chippings but on single lane roads it simply results in drifts of loose chipping in the middle, and in the gutters. I loath the stuff. It makes local lanes impassable for weeks :angry:

jack smith

Veteran
Chipped my s works frame twice within its first day of riding on teh horrible stuff they also did all the roads at the same time, 3 tyres ruined, no pavements or anything to bypass it all i couod do wqs slow to a snails pace

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Once councils get enough money from the government to repair and upkeep the roads, then I will agree with the sentiment, but my understanding is that funds for roads are well below what each council needs so they have to make do. I don't like surface dressing either, but it does eventually bed down and with a finite amount of cash, councils often do the best they can.
When? I'm still waiting for the mounds of stones to disappear from a set of roads they dressed round here in 2012

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The council here waited for the TdF peloton to have passed through before surface dressing the A646 between Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd. The road surface was pretty nasty for a few days. The improvement after that was so sudden that I think they must have swept the road. What they didn't sweep was the strip of road inside the solid white line towards here. I use that as an informal cycle path because cars keep outside it and I can often go faster than them in relative safety.

Top Bottom