Barry Meyer trial. (Title edited)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
image.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is where, as someone so bound up in legal process that you have lost sight of normal standards, you part company once again. The bloke is in court, guilty as hell, common sense would suggest that it is the work of 10 minutes to put it all on record and sentenced.

No need to get your Y fronts in a twist, I am just telling it as it is.

The two offences, drive without a licence and driving while not insured are not imprisonable - fine/points is the maximum.

The bloke's gone to jail, so that prison sentence trumps any possible penalty from the other offences.

Seems sensible enough to me.

If you don't like it, toddle off to see your MP and start a campaign to get the law changed.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/lawless-and-selfish-lorry-driver-sentenced-to-3half-years-jail

Interesting comment below:

Noting your letter I gather that the Commissioner has now responded and the operator details have been confirmed. Searching the VOSA website for the publications (A&D) and the operator's licence number (in the LCC letter) provides interesting background, notably that they applied for a change of operating base in December 2013 - barely 1 month after the fatal crash, yet there was no reference to the incident in November, and the change was approved shortly afterwards.

There is no formal delivery of information on fatal crashes, and traffic offences being taken up by the Police to the Traffic Commissioner, as a result it would appear that officially he has had no call to follow up the failure of the operator and their transport manager to deliver due diligence in checking their drivers' licences and fitness to drive, and the breaches in drivers' hours regulations, either through failure to properly monitor tachograph records, or complicity in this activity.

In Scotland the Commissioner has in place a Memorandum of Understanding, which gives her direct notification from Police Scotland to deliver swift action against LGV and PCV drivers (and operators) using mobile phones and other offences.

classic33

Leg End Member
'In December 1997, Barry Meyer was convicted of drink-driving for which he was disqualified for 18 months.

'In July 1998, he was convicted of driving while disqualified, which he had committed in June, just six months after his disqualification.

'In December 2004, he was convicted of driving a lorry with a skip which carrying a dangerous load, in other words was overloaded; displaying a tax disc which did not match the registration of the vehicle; driving without the appropriate operator's license for the vehicle.

'In May 2007, he was again convicted of driving with excess alcohol and disqualified for 36 months which would be reduced to 27 months if he undertook a driving course.

'In July 2007, he was convicted of driving a van whilst disqualified and give a further 12 month disqualification.

'In September 2008, he was stopped, driving whiles disqualified, a 7.5 tonne lorry. He gave the police a false name because he knew he was both driving whilst disqualified and driving with no insurance; he was disqualified for a further period of 14 months.'

In addition, he has previous convictions for assault, criminal damage and drug possession.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125042

Tin Pot

Guru
'In December 1997, Barry Meyer was convicted of drink-driving for which he was disqualified for 18 months.

'In July 1998, he was convicted of driving while disqualified, which he had committed in June, just six months after his disqualification.

'In December 2004, he was convicted of driving a lorry with a skip which carrying a dangerous load, in other words was overloaded; displaying a tax disc which did not match the registration of the vehicle; driving without the appropriate operator's license for the vehicle.

'In May 2007, he was again convicted of driving with excess alcohol and disqualified for 36 months which would be reduced to 27 months if he undertook a driving course.

'In July 2007, he was convicted of driving a van whilst disqualified and give a further 12 month disqualification.

'In September 2008, he was stopped, driving whiles disqualified, a 7.5 tonne lorry. He gave the police a false name because he knew he was both driving whilst disqualified and driving with no insurance; he was disqualified for a further period of 14 months.'

In addition, he has previous convictions for assault, criminal damage and drug possession.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125042

Cheers.

Link seems to be dead though:

Information
The requested topic does not exist.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hmm funny. I'd tried the search as well.

Cheers.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

22AlanNeve185a.jpg

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...n-colournow-its-black-and-white-10257632.html

The widow of a cyclist killed instantly when he was run over by a rogue driver’s tipper truck has told in heartbreaking detail how her life was torn apart by the trauma of his death.

In the aftermath, deputy headteacher Penny Johnson wrote emails to Alan Neve telling him she loved him — and sent replies from his email account to her own. She slept with his pyjamas and looked in vain for him on the Tube and as she drove around London.

“My life used to be vividly and richly coloured,” she said. “Now it’s black and white. It’s hard to accept that such a gentle, kind, sensitive man had such a horrible death.”

Neil Corre, defending, said Meyer had never served a prison sentence despite his series of bans, some of which were flouted.

Neil Corre, defending, said Meyer had never served a prison sentence despite his series of bans, some of which were flouted.

That while post is heart rending.

That's last paragraph though boggles me. Surely that's a statement that would serve the prosecution better than the defence? What point is he trying to make?

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Dunno, I guess he's saying "Yeah, Barry is a middle-aged delinquent with a record as long as your arm, but he's never been to chokey!" Which is a sort of subdued defence I guess.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
That while post is heart rending.

That's last paragraph though boggles me. Surely that's a statement that would serve the prosecution better than the defence? What point is he trying to make?
+1 fo GF.

I guess its a form of mitigation: yes it may look like he's got a string of convictions but they're only little ones, who hasn't had a driving slap on the wrists amongst us, this could be any of you hearing this, let just forget about them shall we, nudge nudge.

Top Bottom