Barry Meyer trial. (Title edited)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The Traffic Commissioner has banned the transport managers who employed Meyers from holding operators' licences indefinitely:

"Neither Alan Drummond nor Colin Drummond attended the public inquiry on June 24.

In a written statement the Traffic Commissioner explained that both transport managers had lost their good repute and both were disqualified with immediate effect and for an indefinite period of time.

Alan Drummond was disqualified from holding or obtaining any type of operator’s licence in any traffic area, or being the director of any company holding or obtaining such as licence.

Colin Drummond was disqualified from acting as a transport manager on any operator’s licence in any member state of the EU. Before he can act as a transport manager again he must appear before the Traffic Commissioner at a hearing in order to re-establish his repute.

The Commissioner went on to say in his written statement: ‘From the police evidence I have seen, which includes a transcript of an interview with Alan Drummond, I find that the operator wrongly took on trust Barry Meyer’s assurance that he possessed the correct driving entitlement and never bothered to check whether this was really so, even after Mr Meyer had “forgotten” to bring in his licence for checking, something which should have set off alarm bells. I find that, through their negligence, Alan and Colin Drummond allowed a person to drive a Heavy Goods Vehicle who should clearly not have been allowed to do so. The results were fatal."

GC

Dan B

Disengaged member
So, bets that the same people pop up again running the same crappy operation in a year's time with Mrs Drummond's name[*] on the paperwork?

[*] or other close relative, if there is no Mrs Drummond

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

The full might of the law has descended on the Drummond's and they will have to bear all the costs and inconvenience of, er, changing their stationery.

subaqua

What’s the point
So, bets that the same people pop up again running the same crappy operation in a year's time with Mrs Drummond's name[*] on the paperwork?

[*] or other close relative, if there is no Mrs Drummond

possibly NOT if you read the full ruling on the link i posted. they have been banned from hoplding directorships or being involved

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

What sanctions does Mrs Drummond face? You are naive if you think this is an effective sanction, they've already changed the company name once, they'll just do it again.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

How come none of this was aired in the Dennis Putz trial? Exactly the same, multiple banned driver walked in off the street and got a job driving a lorry in the capital. If all the driver has to do is say "I lost my licence" and that's accepted then it's like sending him out on the roads with a loaded gun.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

the registered office is in Canning Town. The address appears to be a recently built industrial site next to the closed pub.

This operating base was a requested change in August 2013 one month after the fatal crash - you will need to search the VOSA online resources under publications for licence OK1046680 and A&D for 20 August 2013.

Whilst you are using the search facility you might also want to look at recently granted licence OK1133972 which appears to share the same operating base postcode, and similar location.

http://www.westendextra.com/news/20...ter-death-cyclist-unlicensed-driver-sent-jail

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

I'd suggest that those reading this (and Road CC) might like to look up OK1133972 SN (A&D issue 3922) and note the operators surname, location of registered office, and location of operating base.

They might also note the change of operating base for OK1046680 (NOT OB1083502 as incorrectly posted by previous poster) per A&D 3899 applied for in August 2013 (one month after the fatal crash) and that the vehicle involved (vanity plate S77 DHL) was recently noted SORN.

The whole issue had string parallels with the history of OH1096328, including the application for a change of operating base around 1 month after a serious fatal crash, but with some curious baggage relating to OH1028238. I'd recommend Western TAO A&D Nos 5294, 5325, and 5379 (1 month after double fatality).

Work is ongoing to prepare material on this case, where CPSUK and others were open mouthed at D&C Police not prepared to pursue case against operator.

Given the relatively small number of fatal crashes (25-30 for the TAO London & SE) the has to be a clear case for the Police to formally record this with DVSA (and TAO) and for the Commissioner to record each fatality in A&D with details of the O Licence holder and TM, and (within 28 days?) determine any requirement to call in the operator for an interview to review their role in providing the means by which the killing was delivered by their driver and vehicle, with a view to preventing future harm.

Those minded to do so might try to get recent and forthcoming copies of Commercial Vehicle Engineer where this is becoming a topic of the letters page and editorial. They might also consider how they can lobby on the findings of the PACTS report on transport safety (published 25/3/15), and directly to the OTC (senior commissioner - Beverley Bell) on how their limited resources might be enhanced, or redirected to tackle this issue

http://road.cc/content/news/152939-haulage-company-under-investigation-employing-killer-driver

Top Bottom