Base layer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yorkyred

Regular
Hi again guys
So I've picked up a few second hand bargains over the last month but as yet don't have a base layer, I'm using a close fitting general thermal top just now. I love my new Gore Bikeware Phantom jacket purchased for a massive £18 but at this point it's a neat fit and would like a close fitting base layer to go underneath it. Could anyone recommend a half decent brand at a budget price as I'm strapped for cash just now ?

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Y

Yorkyred

Regular
If you can, go merino wool, it's a revelation for sweaty types. Try sportspursuits for good deals.
Many thanks, does merino wool itch ?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As above - I've got a Planet X baselayer, a Planet X merino base layer and several of those Sondico compression tops, plus a couple of others. None were bank breakingly expensive and all do a decent enough job for a cyclist of my talents.;)
I'd definitely recommend a merino base layer at this time of year and the Planet x one doesn't itch. I'm told they are also good during warmer weather but I only got mine at Christmas.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
OP
OP
Y

Yorkyred

Regular
@Yorkyred

If you have £10 and want to sample merino wool, have a try at some woolie boolie socks.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/cycling-socks/defeet-woolie-boolie-socks

It really is a wonder material. I can qualify that by saying that even my feet don't make them stink!

Also, where did you get the Phantom from for £18? Damn bargain!
Halfords yesterday, they had a clothing sale on and it was for sale as missing the detachable arms so a short sleeved version. Down from £139 to £20 plus another £2 off with my British cycling card. Could not believe my luck, even the black/white colour I wanted.

OP
OP
Y

Yorkyred

Regular
Even armless... that's still a bargain!
To be honest I've already picked up a couple of long sleeve tops so I'm fine with a short sleeve top and it looks to be of a very high quality. I already had a Gore Bikeware thermal I picked up second hand and even at this early stage like the brand.

Top Bottom