Bauge Banned ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

He was suspended by the French Federation in November. It's taken UCI since then to strip him of the title. I wonder why? I wonder if there'll be protests?

The suspension was for technical/administrative reasons, he didn't test positive. I don't suspect he's a doper, he is a powerful rider naturally.

yello

Sounds like the French federation tried to hide the suspension....

The decision by the French federation went largely un-noticed at the time, and when Bauge pulled out of the Cali world cup on Nov 30, staff on the French team told others that it was down to a back injury.

...that maybe answers my question as to why it took the UCI 2 months to strip Baugé of the title. It also makes me feel less surprised about not hearing anything about it at the time.

yello

I was reading in our local rag earlier that Baugé's misfortunes are to (local lad) Kevin Sireau's advantage. Yes, he'll loose the WC gold he won as part of the sprint team but for some weird and wonderful reason, it means he is able to compete in the qualifiers for the Olympic Games. The report suggested that there was only one space available per country for the sprint*, and Baugé had presumably bagged that with his WC title. Now it's up for grabs.

Begs the question, will Sireau elbow Baugé off this bike to take the spot?

*can't be the case surely... if the report is correct, then the UK could only select Hoy or Kenny (for the individual sprint), not both?? Nah, my local rag has surely got it wrong.

Noodley

Yep, tis true only one spot per country per event. There was a kerfuffle about it at the time it was announced.

Top Bottom