BB sizing help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
i obv can measure the shell ( 68 mm) but the width of spindle is what I mean, it's a bike I'm building up from a frame ,what's accepted wisdom ,just fit wheel and measure where the chain will sit? It's a bit of trial and error I'm told is this just the way it is

midlife

Guru
What chain set are you thinking of fitting and to what frame?

Shaun

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Generally the BB axle width is dictated by the chainset - the info should state the type of square taper and the width needed.

If we are talking about older bikes and Campagnolo chainsets it can get a bit complicated.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
It's an older 531c frame so the size is unknown it's a square taper chainring with 46 teeth Iv got so not massive and need mega clearance re chai stays, is there a standard size

Citius

Crankset dictates BB axle width. You will need to ID the crankset and look it up - there is no single 'standard' size.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Not being cheeky ( as I'm the one asking advice ) but how can crankset dictate width if it essentially a movable part ? Is there any way I can measure anything to get an idea of what I need or is it really just try a few and go for the one that lets ring spin closest to frame ( without fowling chain stay)and work from there

Last edited:

Citius

Different crank arms/spiders have different offsets. You already know you have a Sugino chainset - just google the model number and find out what BB axle width you need.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
It's second hand off eBay so I guess il just have to see cos Iv no tech data all I know is it's square taper

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
When I get it I will ,I've also just won a set of wheels on eBay they are meant for ss/fixed so once I fit them at least it gives me something to line up to, thanks for the advice btw

midlife

Guru
Even if its an older bike I'd be tempted to buy a modern square taper bottom bracket like a shimano UN 55 for about 12 quid. Lfgss have a post somewhere on their site which gives info on sizes for single speed.
107 to 111 would be a wild stab in the dark :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Er,,,, dunno how to do that (I'm on iPad) but it's sugino sh
I think this has worked

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 51

Citius

Can't find any reference to Sugino SH - but Sugino's cheapest crankset is the Pista, which takes a 103mm JIS BB - so you could start with one of those.

Top Bottom