Becoming a landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Srsly? That's just creepy.

excellent use of the misleading selective quote there.

yes, in context, absolutely srsly.

That one thing had a devastating effect on my family and finances for a decade & still has a knock on effect today.

feel free to sit in po faced judgement all you like.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
excellent use of the misleading selective quote there.

yes, in context, absolutely srsly.

That one thing had a devastating effect on my family and finances for a decade & still has a knock on effect today.

feel free to sit in po faced judgement all you like.

I'm not talking about your particular experience. Luckily, landlords can avoid the potential problem of having bad tenants by, er, not being landlords. Tenants don't have this option with regard to landlords. You are, in all seriousness, advising a would-be landlord that it's OK to snoop on your tenants to see who they are f***ing.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm not talking about your particular experience. Luckily, landlords can avoid the potential problem of having bad tenants by, er, not being landlords. Tenants don't have this option with regard to landlords. You are, in all seriousness, advising a would-be landlord that it's OK to snoop on your tenants to see who they are f***ing.

er, I didn't sign up to be a landlord to that shitbag & was deceived by someone I had known for years & with whom I had an ongoing professional relationship of trust with her mother. You grossly simplify the landlord/tennant relationship into a one way power trip. It isn't.

I said make it a notifiable change, (edit, fair point I said snooping, but hardly covert in context of being a specified notifiable change) but yes I stand by looking on Facebook etc.

hard nosed experience has shown that you can't blindly trust people with what is frankly a huge pile of your money & if their circumstances change you'd be a fool not to want to be sure your emotional and financial investment is protected.

My son is in rented accommodation, I stood guarantor for the first contract & had to provide all sorts of personal detail for their vetting checks on my suitability too. I've been security vetted for a job before now, THAT was intrusive & for a contract less than the money I had tied up in that house.

Such checks happen to prospective employees too now & is in my companies discipline policy - the world is moving on, may not be to taste but its cheaper than a private eye of yesteryear.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I wouldn't mind living in Shetland.....

....... Oh, and what's wrong with red walls and ceiling mounted mirrors?? :whistle:

Seriously though, I need to find somewhere, but I imagine it would be a council house in my local area seeing as I'm on benefits (the 'B' word, there, said it) due to illness. I bet the Shetland roads are great for cycling though (if a bit windy!!)......

Where is it anyway, Lerwick??

Last edited:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I am going to rent my house out in about 18 months time so this is a very interesting thread. As I will be out of the country I will do it tthrough a letting agent. It will be let at a below market rent, a fair rent, in the hope that both parties will benefit. For me I would be looking for a good long term tenant, for them it would be a nice house at a fair rent. I would take a good deposit just in case.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
No, it's about 15 miles south of Lerwick.

I've never taken my bike up there, but yes, the roads are pretty quiet. Not difficult to get away from the traffic :smile:

15 miles South of Lerwick ? That'd be close to Cunningsburgh.

The roads in Shetland are great for cycling; the tarmac is in great condition and there's little in the way of traffic . . . Especially, HGVs.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Get a good agent. I rented out my flat and my agent was great, really checked out the girl,I met her beforehand and she was the world's best tenant. At the same time,I rented another place and had the world's worse landlady. There was no agent between us (other than setting up the original contract) and in the end I felt I had no choice but to leave without giving notice, due to dangerous living conditions, and I lost my deposit. So having been on both sides, with and without an agent, I would always get a good agent (whether tenant or landlord) and I would always deal with matters between us in writing so I had written proof of any issues and steps taken (or not taken as the case was) to resolve them. In my opinion, if you get a good agent, they are worth the fees. I believe you are more likely to get a good tenant or a good landlord if they are prepared to have an agent as the middle man. Obviously I know there are horror stories where agents have been involved, but my experience was better with the agent.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
15 miles South of Lerwick ? That'd be close to Cunningsburgh.

The roads in Shetland are great for cycling; the tarmac is in great condition and there's little in the way of traffic . . . Especially, HGVs.

It's at Maywick so a little more off the "main" road. :smile:

I've never taken my bike up, but you're right about the roads. And, of course, the scenery is stunning!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
It's at Maywick so a little more off the "main" road. :smile:

I've never taken my bike up, but you're right about the roads. And, of course, the scenery is stunning!

Ha! I certainly know Maywick; about 10 years ago, I cycled to Maywick - to see where some of my ancestors lived. It was only a very short ride that we did - we parked by the beach close to St Ninian's Isle and then went up through Bigton and Ireland. It's about 6 years since I was last there, but there used to be a good little cafe in Bigton.

My Mum's family lived on East Burra Isle and some lived on Havra - both of which, may be seen from Maywick. There's a place in Maywick offering holiday accommodation - we've considered it a few times, but as you'll know, it's a bit of a trip to get anywhere from there. Apart from the likes of the Outer Skerries, Fair Isle & Foula, there can scarcely be a more remote place than Maywick, in the entire UK. I love it up there; just writing this message, makes me feel inclined to take a trip up there, some time next year - hopefully. St Ninian's Isle, is one of the most beautiful spots to be found anywhere - I'm very envious of you !

I can't imagine how you 'found' Maywick - Do you have family there ? I've relations living all over Shetland.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Ha! I certainly know Maywick; about 10 years ago, I cycled to Maywick - to see where some of my ancestors lived. It was only a very short ride that we did - we parked by the beach close to St Ninian's Isle and then went up through Bigton and Ireland. It's about 6 years since I was last there, but there used to be a good little cafe in Bigton.

Sadly the cafe is no more :sad: But St Ninian's is a s beautiful as ever. If you do plan a trip next year I'd certainly recommend B&B at Hayhoull in Bigton. I think the self-catering place in Maywick may have been converted back into a house now.

I can't imagine how you 'found' Maywick - Do you have family there ? I've relations living all over Shetland.

About 15 years ago I went to Shetland on a wildlife holiday. I kept in touch with the owners - I worked on their website & helped with holiday bookings - and visited a few times. The house I've bought was theirs. Hopefully I'll be able to retire there in not too many years time :smile:

Here's a picture looking down towards Maywick beach, just to make you even more envious.

maywick.jpg

I have relatives on Shetland too - mainly on Unst. My gt-gt-grandmother was a herring gutter from Baltasound who ended up on Tyneside - with a few adventures along the way!

Hmm! Maybe we're related - my ancestors were Edwardsons.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have relatives on Shetland too - mainly on Unst.

I'm off up to Shetland in July; I intend to go to Unst Fest - do you know if it is worth a visit ? I'd like to know, 'cos it takes a bit of time to get up there, especially since I'd need to make 4 ferry crossings.

SD1

It was suggested I rent out my mothers property via estate agent who would both check the tenant, insure against non payment and thrashing of the property. As you are talking about one property I think that's the only way you should go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom