Bedding in or issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshopper

Hi all,
bought a new CX Team from Halfords at the beginning of July, but have only just got to riding it on it's maiden voyage last night. As a result, I do have a couple of questions as certain elements of the bike are new to me...

The Brakes (Avid BB5) are quite spongy and do have some rub in them. I've read a fair bit on here and other forums about having a bedding in period. Is the above to be expected as part of that bedding in period, or has it not been set up right? If not bedding in, what is to be expected during that bedding in period?

Also on the brakes, the main brake levers on the drops can be taken all the way back to the handlebars, forcing the
SRAM shifter to rub against the handlebars. Is this right? It does spring back to normal position after a few seconds..

Lastly, the SRAM shifter itself for the chainwheel is very clunky. The right SRAM is pure joy to use. The left is awful. As opposed to a small click when shifting, it's like someones using a hammer.

It;s the first time I've had SRAMs shifters like this, so not sure what to expect...?

Any advice appreciated!!

James

winjim

Smash the cistern
Those brakes sound badly set up to me. The levers should not be hitting the bars. During a bedding in period the pads will settle in their holders so the brakes may become slacker and need adjusting with the barrel adjuster. It sounds like yours are slack already. If you're mechanically minded you can set them up yourself using the "business card" technique, otherwise take it back or to an LBS.

OP
OP
J

Jameshopper

I had a go on the brakes last night with the business card trick, but it still wasn't ideal by the end of it.

Next question then. As aBoardman, the bike was bought from Halfords. I've already been back once (last night) as one of the pedals was so tightly jammed in that I just couldn't get it off to replace it with some decent ones. In the end, even Halfords had to replace the whole chainwheel assembly...

What about the SRAM shifters - they don't sound right. I did also have to do a bit of tinkering on the gear cables as it was so loose, it was only shifting to the small chainring and not the larger one.

Do I take it back to Halfords for them to sort it, or do I take it to a decent LBS and pay for a service. Got the bike for over £589 v the standard £899 so even a service cost means I'm quids in.

Cheers

winjim

Smash the cistern
TBH I find a business card actually a little thick for the above method. I have a small piece of plastic cut from some packaging or other which I use, and seems to give me the correct spacing.

Having said that, if you're having other issues as well - LBS.

Top Bottom