Beds - what do you travellers use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drummerbod

New to camping and need a bed that I can carry on my bike, along with my tent, so what type of beds do you carry\use? Airbed? Just a thin bit of foam?

Looking forward to recommendations\thoughts.

andym

Über Member
You'll find that some people carry and swear by inflatable mattresses, others carry the thin foam (but I suspect there are fewer of them) and others carry the traditional self-inflating type.

It really is going to come down to personal preference - both in terms of softness/support and also the amount of insulation you need/want. I'm perfectly happy with a minimalist half-length Decathlon self-inflating job - but I suspect most people on here would throw up their hands in horror at the thought.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I bought a Thermarest self inflating mattress. TBH it's better than other self inflaters I have tried, but even at the extra cost it's still not great. I ended up having to buy one of those roll up foam padding things from Decathlon to supplement it. Even at that, give me a proper bed any time! Camping = xx( IMHO; I haven't even considered it yet this "summer" thanks to the weather. I can just about suffer the discomfort and humphing all that extra weight around in good weather, but otherwise I'd rather stay at home.

snorri

Legendary Member
I found the thin foam bed roll provided adequate comfort but the insulating property was a bit lacking in cooler climes which resulted in me waking up feeling cold in the middle of the night. I then purchased an Exped Synmat UL7s which is both comfortable and insulates well from the cold ground. The Exped folds up to a more compact size than the foam bed roll but takes a little time and effort to inflate, although I believe a combination pump/pillow is available.
The Exped Synmat weighs 410 gms

TreeHuggery

carry mat type thing works for me - as with the posts above, down to personal preference, and how much you want to buy and carry.... and how long you're going camping for I guess - what you might put up with for a week or so, might not be what you want to put up with if you're going for longer.... Have a good time

3/4 length self-inflating + 1/4 oldy-worldy closed cell foam sitmat that I use under my feet at night.
On long tours, your inflatable is sure to develope a leak, so the closed cell can be a backup.

Another one who uses and thoroughly recommends Expeds.

I have the Exped Downmat 7 and, combined with a sleeping bag for the relevant season and the Ajungilak inflatable pillow, I sleep exceedingly well with no soreness the next day. Expensive ,but what price warmth and comfort on a long cycling tour?

robing

Über Member
I use a North Ridge Alpine Lite self-inflating lightweight mattress, always needs a bit of puff as well. I also take a thin foam mattress to put underneath to protect it from stones etc. Also the foam one is quite handy to sit on when camping, eating etc.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I use an air mat (not insulated) on top of a cheap foam mat. The air mat is super small and I actually carry it in my front bar bag, and I roll up my foam mat and put it on the top of my rear rack. With this setup:

-i leave my foam mat with my bike. If it gets stolen or drops off, it really is no big deal to replace.
-if I lose my foam mat, I still have my air mat and I can still get a good night's sleep.
-if somehow my air mat springs a leak and I can't fix it on the road, at least I have the ability to get some sleep on the foam mat.

I've also found I use the cheap foam mat to sit on when I camp. Obviously if I lose both mat and air mat, I'm getting a motel room :smile: I really like this setup -it came about because when I bought an air mat I wasn't sure of its longevity (never been one to trust an inflatable item), so I wanted a backup. This has become, by happenstance, my go to solution, and I've really found it practical and effective.

F70100

Who, me ?
+1 for Exped Synmat Ultralite 7. Try facewest.co.uk for the full range of sizes.

I have only had light use from this item this year and have found it to be excellent but I have seen feedback in another place from folks who have had them delaminating, and growing some mould inside when they have been inflated by exhaled breath. I think I'm going to try and make an inflator with a champagne cork and tyre valve so I can use my pump. I will report back here but it you might have to wait a bit!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had my Synmat 7 (not ultralight) for at least 4 years, and has been used quite a few times (inflated using the inbuilt pump), and nines been fine.

Ummmm - none at all, for me. Just a sleeping bag. Odd - but the hardness of the ground makes me deliberately and consciously relax each and every muscle, almost one at a time ....... and I sleep GOOOOOOOD!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I also have the Exped Synmat UL7s andriy is great.

It has a fibre Inside that warms up as you lay on it and it keeps you warm. There is an inflatable pilliow you SHOULD use with it to inflate it, so that only dry air goes in and not moisture from your breath. Moisture can eventually cause a fungus Inside the mattress.

Both the bed and pilliow Roll up very small and light.

Real cyclists have proper beds

0811824713-biketow.jpg

Top Bottom