Bees on my bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barachus

Ok this is a strange one
I normally lock my bike at my local train station, so i got back yesterday evening from work and my seat and seat post were complete covered in bees!
Obviously i was not going to mess with half a hive of those little buggers, so i walked home thinking that by the next morning they would have left to go play with something else.
I get there this morning and they are still all over it!
Help! what do i do??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do a search on t'internet for local beekeepers. They will come and remove the swarm.

OP
OP
B

barachus

thanks for the replies, even the useless ones, they made me laugh^_^

looked on the internet for local bee keepers, found the bbka and contacted a nice man who promised to turn up with a brush and tools to clear the swarm
i will be spraying it with insecticde as part of regular maintenance through summer now

I put this question to a amateur bee keeper who is sitting next to me at work, he recommends putting on gloves and some sort of face covering and just nock the little buggers off with your hand or stick . Then wipe the seat etc down with a alchol wipe to remove the pheremones. Or if you want to kill them pour petrol over them. On the other hand he reckons they will leave your bike alone in a couple of days anyway when they find a more suitable home.

Is your bike a Voodoo Bzzzzango?

OP
OP
B

barachus

I put this question to a amateur bee keeper who is sitting next to me at work, he recommends putting on gloves and some sort of face covering and just nock the little buggers off with your hand or stick . Then wipe the seat etc down with a alchol wipe to remove the pheremones. Or if you want to kill them pour petrol over them. On the other hand he reckons they will leave your bike alone in a couple of days anyway when they find a more suitable home.
There is no way i am going anywhere near that bike, let alone knocking them off with my hand
....unless i am in full hazmat clothing
i have memories of a friends ear swelling to size of an elephants when he disturbed some bees and got stung

Reactions: 4F

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
There are too many bees somewhere. They have initiated a new Queen from a crowded hive, and she has chosen your bicycle as a place to establish a new residence, be that temporary or as a transfer before they find a new hive site. They may move on. Have the bee fellow come and remove them. He may even know whose bees they are, and return them. That's what happened at my aunties' house, bees moved onto the grounds, they dropped or made a wax start of a hive almost immediately after the swarm arrived, and they were removed by a beekeeper from a neighboring place. The beekeeper said there was a beekeeper who was getting old, not tending the hives properly, and they were getting overcrowded, and that was why they swarmed.

OP
OP
B

barachus

Erm can't be the first to think this, but do you have pictures?
unfortunately i didnt take pictures, i hate creepy crawlies so it didnt even cross my mind, it was more of a terror flight reflex!:laugh:
the beekeeper did say he would take pictures as he laughed at my description, i will contact him later on

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Your breaking the law if you kill them without first trying to get a beekeeper to take them away.
My father was a beekeeper and had his name down on a list kept by the local council who would pass it on to people who phoned in asking for help with bee swarms.

Top Bottom