Beginners MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I've been out for a couple of MTB rides this year with friends, most recently this weekend, and am thinking of buying a bike (hired bikes on each occasion) having returned with a silly grin plastered on my face!

Knowing next to nothing about MTB, I obviously have a few queries:

1. I'm guessing that for beginner trails, a hardtail is the way to go. Any reason to look at full suspension?
2. 29er or 650? I'm 6'4", so a 29er wouldn't be excessive, but I enjoyed the twisty, turny trails rather than the long straight ones. Is a 650 is better suited to that? Should I even look at 26"
3. How much to spend? £500, £1000, £1500 (couldn't afford that TBH)
4. Ready to roll or upgraditis? I want a bike that has a good set of components e.g. fork, wheels, gears, brakes etc. Even tyres ideally, as I don't want to have to upgrade or replace parts for this bike, as well as my road bike and commuter.

One bike that particularly caught my eye was the Boardman Team HT 650B 2014. Seemed a happy medium between price and components.

http://goo.gl/9jzXmo

Decent, or look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Just started in MTB myself and I went for a hardtail for about £500. That's OK as I'm not going to be into it as seriously as my road bikes (I say that now.......). The hardtail is less maintenance to worry about really and a lot cheaper as if you want full suspension you are looking at £1500 minimum for a good one.

That got me a decent frame, decent drivetrain, hydraulic brakes and a basic fork (that can.. and will.. be upgraded). If you want to start more seriously, then looking for a bike with a decent fork as standard will be about a grand.. This.. for example.

If you like the twisty trails then 650 or 26" is the way to go IMO and a lot of manufacturers are going for 650b now.

The Boardman seems quite good, but the fork is basic and would ideally need an upgrade, so add at least £300 to it.

That fork is OK. Not the best but a pretty decent air fork. If you go 650b make sure it has reasonable forks and tyres on it from the off because it's still a new size and forks in particular are a premium in 650b, which will probably change in 12 months.

That Boardman is a decent bike for the money and there's probably very little you need to change on it.

I would still look at 26" bikes, personally. A lot of manufacturers are now dropping 26 down to the youth market or just dropping it, youth and downhill. I rode a 650b and it felt closer to a 26 than a 29 but it was only a brief car park ride, so hard to tell.

Top Bottom