Best Hi Vis? Vest, coat, backpack etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edmunj

Hi, this is only my second post, be kind! I am starting cycling with my 10 year old daughter as she has completed her Bikeability training at school and is keen to cycle more as a family. We have never used any high visibility clothing or products as have always ridden off road. Now we will be starting to use roads, are vests, coats, back packs etc recommended? Which is the best? I have looked and can get vests for as little as £3, I want to be safe as possible and wondered what other people found work the best? Thank you

snorri

Legendary Member
The cheaper the better:thumbsup:, as long as it is not too flappy it will be fine, but do check that it has reflective material stitched in for night cycling..
That sounds like a good price, industrial supplies stores tend to provide the best value for money.

green1

Über Member
To be honest I'd spend the money on a good set of lights and learn a bit of road craft, will help you keep safe far better than just relying on 'urban camoflage' to make yourself visible.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i always use one that has a set of built in flashing light , got it off e bay payed about a tenner absolute life saver , well recomended

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Builders waistcoats tend to be great in my opinion. Cheap, bright and have large reflective bands on them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ikea used to sell the vests for a few quid in all shapes and sizes, or there's always Sports Direct

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The Sky ride is a good idea, but if you do have to buy rather than get a free one then it's another vote for builders waistcoats here.

I can get them for about £2.50 each locally and I can wear whatever I like underneath.

For what it's worth, I prefer orange ones as drivers seem to treat me better in this colour than when I wear the yellow ones (they probably think I'm a postman).

sittingbull

Veteran
ALDI cycling sale on Thursday 27th. September.

Cycling paraphernalia including spoke reflectors and flashing arm-bands.

Details here :smile:

Norm

Builders waistcoats tend to be great in my opinion. Cheap, bright and have large reflective bands on them.
IMO, go with builder's vests too. They'll go over anything (and come in pink, if that helps) and it could be my imagination but I feel I get more room from white vans and commercial vehicles. I've no evidence but I reckon that's because they see those vests as making me 'one of us' rather than 'one of them'.

simon.r

Person
I've not long had one of these:

rbsgilet2.jpg

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7542

It's incredibly bright (the picture doesn't do it justice) and has a fair bit of reflective stuff on it as well. It may well offend some peoples eyes^_^

More expensive than a builder's vest, but more comfortable and doubles as a windproof - good in Spring / Autumn type weather.

OP
OP
edmunj

edmunj

Thanks for all your replies, I have bought some cheap and cheerful ones, however I saw an article in my local paper about a man who is running for the Police and crime commissioner post for Northamptonshire, he has a site Policewitness.com that sells high vis vests for £19.99! They have POLICE in large letters on the back and drivers are supposed to react and give more space? I thought it wasnt allowed as impersonating a police officer but apparantly his info says a university is doing a study on the Police camera high vis vests, regardless of whether they work or not, £19.99 for a vest?!?!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wouldn't have though that the bobbies will take too kindly to someone wearing a jacket with police on the back if they are not bobbies themselves. It's impersonating an officer of the law.

No doubt one of our forum bobbies @coppercyclist, @vikeonabike and @138NI should be able to confirm.

Top Bottom