Best Sitcom of the 21st Century is...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hmmm
  1. Mrs Brown’s Boys - never watched it
  2. The Office - enjoyed it
  3. Peter Kay’s Car Share - never heard of it
  4. Count Arthur Strong - never watched it
  5. The IT Crowd - never watched it
  6. The Thick of It - enjoyed it
  7. Gavin & Stacey - never watched it
  8. Miranda - saw it, not tempted to repeat
  9. Raised by Wolves - never heard of it
  10. Outnumbered - enjoyed it
So, of the 'top 10' I've enjoyed fewer than I've never watched, and only just more than I've never heard of. Like others, I'm baffled by the absence of 2012 & W1A, both brilliant, and Green Wing, also brilliant. I've mixed feelings about The Office, because I never found it all that, well, for want of a better word, funny. But I can recognise it as a truly landmark piece of television, so I think it deserves a high ranking. I think my personal top 10 would look more like
  1. The Thick of It
  2. The Office
  3. 2012
  4. W1A
  5. Green Wing
  6. Outnumbered
  7. Black books
  8. Um, that's all folks

Can I add "Spaced"? And "Party Down"

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Can I add "Spaced"? And "Party Down"
spaced_what.gif

Spaced is only eligible by virtue of S2 being aired in 2001 (S1 aired in 1999).

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/aug/23/mrs-browns-boys-voted-best-sitcom-of-century

Mrs Brown's Boys!

Interesting, I think, after recent discussions about comedy in the café - I'd cross several streets to avoid watching an episode of it, personally.

(Lest we forget, the first two decades of the century have brought us Peep Show, The Inbetweeners, Veep, Grandma's House, Arrested Development, House of Fools, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm....)

Me and you both

Modern Family however.....

....and in deference to my avatar, Bojack Horseman, natch, but not sure if that qualifies as a sitcom

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I know - confirmation the RT list was compiled by idiots.

I'll nominate 2 Broke Girls as well...

Seriously? That may be one of the worst things I have ever seen.

Of recent American comedies, Community, Parks & Recreation and Curb Your Enthusiasm have all had their moments. Big Bang Theory took a while to get going and also stopped being funny a long, long time ago, which highlights one of the big problems with American comedy (and TV in general) - they don't know when to stop because of commercial imperatives. There's every incentive to keep swaddling the audience in comforting familiarity and not to challenge them, so long as the advertising money pours in.

It happens in Britain too, of course. Peep Show should have been killed off much earlier on, for example.

IMHO there is no actual argument about the funniest British TV comedy of the 2000s. It was Nathan Barley. Funny because it was so true and so ahead of its time. And because it did not outstay its welcome.

Other honorable mentions: Black Books, The IT Crowd and Green Wing (and Peep Show, already mentioned).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Revision:

I think my personal top 10 would look more like
  1. The Thick of It
  2. The Office
  3. 2012
  4. W1A
  5. Green Wing
  6. Parks & Recreation
  7. Outnumbered
  8. Black books
  9. Um, that's all folks

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Black books deserves its place on the list.

The Big Bang Theory, on the other hand, is dire. Unfunny actors playing unfunny characters making unfunny and stereotypical jokes in unfunny situations.

iandg

Legendary Member
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/aug/23/mrs-browns-boys-voted-best-sitcom-of-century

Mrs Brown's Boys!

Interesting, I think, after recent discussions about comedy in the café - I'd cross several streets to avoid watching an episode of it, personally.

(Lest we forget, the first two decades of the century have brought us Peep Show, The Inbetweeners, Veep, Grandma's House, Arrested Development, House of Fools, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm....)

Same people are allowed to vote in General Elections and Referendums. Is it a wonder we're in such a mess?

Top Bottom