best way to get average speed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma

Über Member
I want my average speed to increase as on a flat 26 mile route i do 13.5 mph at the start i do hit a few traffic lights and traffic.

Is it worth going to a WATT CYCLE classes to get used to going faster

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ride more - and more often.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ride on roads with no traffic or traffic lights ;)

Ride in a group
Lose weight

Although average speed really tells you little. Certainly can't see how riding indoors will make much difference to average speeds on roads. Why do you need to get used to going faster, are you scared in some way?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You don't need to go to specific classes. Ride regularly and try to push yourself a bit. If you are carrying excessive weight try to lose some. As you get fitter you may want to start doing some form of interval training, but initially just get more miles in and push yourself so your body is stressed and adapts to riding faster. :okay:

midlife

Guru
You need to improve cardiovascular fitness, so I'm afraid that means riding / training more or EPO (just joking)

Shaun

I find the 2 best ways if improving door-to-door speeds.
Minimise the time I spend faffing around preparing the bike for a ride, and locking up at the end.
Minimise the time spent going slowly. Learn the phasing of traffic lights. Increase your minimum speed.
The only easy way to improve cruising speed is to go aero, so fit some clip-on bars.

Watt meters should be used in conjunction with heart-rate monitors to improve watts per heartbeat. It is by far the hardest way of quicker riding.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am on a BH zaphire road bike and it just seems slow as most of the other riders in the club do average 15-16 mph
Sounds like they are fitter than you. Can you keep up with them when riding in a group? How far is the group ride? Maybe you need to add some hills into your riding and up the mileage? How often do you do the 26 miles
A different bike probably won't make you much faster (although it may have a psychological advantage). I don't know anything about that bike

Then speed is not the issue , its your fitness riding at slower pace and increase your mileage at some point it will make you fitter
and you will also gain leg muscle strength ... then the speed will follow .

Top Bottom