Bianchi rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok got the frame back from being resprayed and a little disappointed with a few runs. Shouldn't complain as it's an automotive sprayer and is cheap. Got a new headset, quill and seat post and recycled some black itm bars. I'll post some more pics as I build it up.

Have got levers, front and rear derallieurs shimano 600 1st gen gear to put on and a 600 ax chainset with pedals. Need to sort out wheels for it yet. Undecided on whether to put the silver rx100 brakes or the dark grey shimano 600 tricolours on.

Think some very fine wet and dry might help with the runs and then some t-cut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 91

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nice. Have you got any decals to go on it? I'm not sure if I would put them on before the build while the paint was free of greasy handprints and easy to handle or after the build to avoid any chance of damaging them?

One other thing if it were me doing this build. I would have a nice soft rag around the frame where it is clamped in the workstand.

Looking forward to more pics of the finished job.

It may have been cheap but I bet you didn't ask them to leave runs in it. I've had a couple of frames sprayed by car bodyshops, and they never had runs in them.

If they won't sort the finish out for you then the wet and dry should be OK, (used wet and gently), but I'd avoid T-Cut on brand new paint TBH.

Once you've flatted the runs a good top coat of polish like FARECLA should bring it back to a shine.

Re: decals. If you haven't got any yet I can recommend H.LLOYD Cycles, the quality and service they provide IME has been fantastic.

PS: +1 for a soft rag around the clamping point. Paint remains surprisingly soft for quite a long time after it's actually dry.

HovR

Über Member
The paint in the threads might prove to be a bit of a pain! I'd see if you can chase it out whilst the paint is still soft, if not you might need some more professional grade thread tapping tools.

Looking good so far though, I like the colour choice!

The paint in the threads might prove to be a bit of a pain!
Good spot I missed that. FWIW whenever I've had a frame painted like this I've always screwed a couple of old cups into the BB with some tape over the holes as well. That way the threads are left sparkling when you take them out.

If you're stuck your LBS should only charge a nominal amount to chase the BB threads for you if they are clogged up.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Paint from threads has been removed. I did use a small amount of grease before spraying so it wasn't too bad. Got the crank and chainset on plus decals but it's too dark for pictures. I'll need to retouch the paintwork as the run was pretty bad and I've taken a little paint if the surrounding area. Luckily it's a modern colour paint so shouldn't be too hard to pick up a touch up pot (BMW ice blue used on minis).

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Been busy putting gear on. Gears set up but need to get some new brakes as the shimano are too short :-(. Have found a set of weimann for now that fit. Tyres and tubes ordered, just need to think what colour tape to put on handlebars. I've also put the link of the original bike. It might not be perfect but it's a little better than it was :-).

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1980s-bianchi-bottom-range-possibly-sprint.145727/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Yeah all done and finished. Everything working, polished, touched up and rides nice. Onwards to the next restoration.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 68
Looks good Tony. The only things I'd have changed or have done differently are:

Level the saddle.
Shorten the brake cables, use black outers and route the LH one the other side of the headtube.
Silver calipers.
Silver bars, stem and seat post.

That's just my own preference and critique though, but it still looks good fella.

Top Bottom