Big weekend (for me)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Myself and 4 mates from The Lotus 7 Club are starting the TPT at Southport on Monday morning, Sunday is the warm up, cycling to Southport from Sunny Radcliffe. Only one proper cyclist in the party, Stuart, who is in his late 60s has been on a bike since he was a little lad, will be on his father's 1954 Claude Butler 3 speed, I'm on my Trek Hybrid thingy, John on his E-bike, Howard on a MTB and Alan on a BSO.

Should be quite an adventure. Give us a wave, we should be very easy to spot.

Mrs M

Guru
Have fun :smile: :bicycle:

Sorry I didn't get here soon enough!

Just before Warrington on the TPT from your end, you should have gone past Fiddlers Ferry power station. There's a great little pub just off the track from it which is a nice lunch/beer stop by the water called "The Ferry Tavern"

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Day one proper was warm, sunny and quite windy. 43 mainly off road miles to windy Warrington. I have only 300 miles in my Brooks saddle which I must admit is not enough. Still onwards and eastwards to Glossop.

Quite sunny here in Glossop atm but a fair headwind for you unfortunately. If you are continuing on the TPT after Glossop there is a stretch over the Pennines that is very rough and steep and not rideable. Don't be put off, just walk it. It's quite short and after that the route becomes easy again

If you're stopping in Glossop tonight let me know and I'll recommend somewhere nice to eat or get a pint

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Pub was closed when we got there but a nice club member collected us from the Travelodge and took us to Grappenall for dinner. Very nice too.
Glossop Travelodge tonight then over into bandit country tomorrow.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Pub was closed when we got there but a nice club member collected us from the Travelodge and took us to Grappenall for dinner. Very nice too.
Glossop Travelodge tonight then over into bandit country tomorrow.

There is a very good Wetherspoons next door that does a good range of beers and the food is tasty. If for some reason your not disposed to 'spoons then walk down the High Street (heading west) and about 200m on the left is a pub called The Oakwood that is very nice and does good food. If you're a beer aficionado then directly opposite the train station (you'll be almost able to see it from the Travelodge) is Harvey Leonards that does a load of high quality beers to drink in

If that isn't what you're looking for then PM me and I'll try to help

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
43.4 miles today into a headwind. The last 10 were tough and wet. In the Travelodge at 18.15. Heading out at 19.30. Thanks for your suggestions.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Very good pasta in Mia Maria. Is that enough to get me up and over Woodhead?
Tune in tomorrow for update from Downtown Doncaster.

I suspect you may have already set off....the climb over the Pennines is easy on the TPT except the very rough, steep bit I mentioned. That bit isn't really rideable but it keeps you off the main road which is very busy. Once you drop down into Dunford Bridge it's easy riding all the way to Doncaster

If you haven't set off you might want to try this way to get onto the TPT from the Travelodge....if you cycle through the lights and past Mia Maria (on your right) and keep going. That road is nice and quiet and the TPT crosses it about 4 miles further on. Better than doubling back to Hadfield for example

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Really tough day today. Not in the hotel in Donny 'till 19.30. I took a tumble and knocked my front mech out of line, the wind caught my panniers just as I moved to avoid a big hole. The surface all the way to Woodhead was dreadful, wet sand is what it looked like and felt like, that and a 10 - 15 mph headwind made for VERY slow progress. We found some good surfaces but the majority were wet and muddy. The rain held off and that was probably the day's highlight.
We had two further tumbles and another puncture as well as a few navigational errors, these and the narrow gap styles helped to soak up the time.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Really tough day today. Not in the hotel in Donny 'till 19.30. I took a tumble and knocked my front mech out of line, the wind caught my panniers just as I moved to avoid a big hole. The surface all the way to Woodhead was dreadful, wet sand is what it looked like and felt like, that and a 10 - 15 mph headwind made for VERY slow progress. We found some good surfaces but the majority were wet and muddy. The rain held off and that was probably the day's highlight.
We had two further tumbles and another puncture as well as a few navigational errors, these and the narrow gap styles helped to soak up the time.
:hugs::cheers::pump::training::bicycle::smile:^_^:okay::becool:

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Much better day today. Here in Glorious Goole after 49.5 flat miles. Very nice pub lunch sat outside in the warm sunshine.
We got into Selby just on "ice cream o-clock". And sat outside the impressive Abbey.
The wind was against us all day, made even worse by the flat open landscape.
Hull tomorrow with a little excursion over and back across the Humber Bridge.

Top Bottom