Big.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a hair under 6'4", 255lbs, 56"'chest, 19" pipes.

I like being big. I feel mighty and strong. A thunder God. People treat me with respect, and I get left respectfully alone, which suits me just fine.

As well as cycling my other passion is powerlifting. However, due to a torn rotator cuff and being diagnosed with BPPV I've not competed all year and my lifting training has been curtailed. I'm beginning to think my competing days are over and it may be time to think about keeping lean and maintaining well established muscle mass.

The downside of this mightiness is that my cycling suffers. Distance, nae prob, but a competitive speed is beyond me. As I'm getting old (I'm 45) this is starting to irk me).

My other confession is that my diet is terrible. With all the cycling and lifting its never been a problem, but as I get older I really need to pay attention.

So, I need to lean out a bit. I'd like to get back to about 238-240lbs, even if it means losing a bit of muscle (i was a feeble.52" chest when I was last that weight).

So, what's a good diet to help me lose a wee bit, but still keep me protein'd up? I'm allergic to tree nuts an intolerant of tomato.

I'm genuinely open to sensible advice, tips, ideas.

Cheers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I discovered porridge for breakfast a couple of years ago. It always sounded totally boring before then, but I just love it now. 40 grams of oats and 270 ml of low fat milk. Stick it in the microwave on High for three and a half minutes. I don't add anything. The milk makes it sweet enough for me but others add a whole heap of fruit , nuts, and other sweet things. It keeps me going for a very long time. Absolutely no desire to snack at all. Eat apples too. They are a lot more boring than porridge, but they are supposed to be good.

BTW, I am hardly qualified to be some kind of Health Guru!

As ever, I dunno. I read a book called Racing Weight which was recommended to me which is very good, de-bunks a few myths but I suspect it may not contain everything you need but I suggest it as an entrée. You can read the intro on Amazon.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
May I express some amusement that you are advising a 6-foot tree trunk?
I thought he was Jack Reacher.

montage

God Almighty
Most cycling diets you will find online and in books will not fully address the conservation of body mass - I would check among the body building realms of the net, lots of info out there on bulking and cutting

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
But then I'll look like a weakling, will age faster, be me prone to osteoporosis, and get sand kicked in my face on the beach.

Aye, but us more efficient cycling engines are kicking dirt in your face.

Cycling isn't the best sport for muscle mass. You are probably too big to make a track sprinter. Chris Hoy, Jody Cundy are 'big' cyclists, but not weight lifting big.

You will struggle to maintain a lot of mass if you want to be quick on a bike. Diet, just eat a well balanced meals. Oh and pack in the dodgy weightlifting 'supplements' ahem... :tongue:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
No dodgy supplements here. Even if I wanted to, I'm subject to random drug and alcohol testing at work so I'd be a fool to even think it. Indeed, these days it's the cyclists mos likely to be using pharmaceutical assistance.

There are some very fast cyclists at work. One in particular is a rocket, but while he is (bloody) quick I can keep up over the distance. We've done 65 mile rides together and while he's quick over a few miles I wasn't having a coronary keeping up over the distance. The other problem is that they all look like weedy skinny weaklings, and I'd hate to look like that (that My personal preference, some might dig the look and all power to them).

I just want to nudge the pendulum a little from the extreme its reached. Without major orthopaedic surgery I'll never look like a weedy time trialler, even if I wanted to. If I'm quitting competitive lifting I don't need to bulk to 265-270 pre season and a figure in the high 230s should give me most of what I'd like, and a little of what I need.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No dodgy supplements here. Even if I wanted to, I'm subject to random drug and alcohol testing at work so I'd be a fool to even think it. Indeed, these days it's the cyclists mos likely to be using pharmaceutical assistance..

Thought weight trainers liked the old shot of testosterone :tongue:

More miles is probably your key, and a balanced diet. You don't need to be any more specific if not racing to a high level.

Top Bottom