bigger roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As with a lot of things cycling, I'd say it's legal, but not recommended.

Certainly for larger roundabouts, the best option IMO is to pick the lane you want, stay in the middle of it and act like a car.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It sounds like the cyclist is just doing what used to be taught in the RoSPA/CTC/NCU Cycling Proficiency (and still seems to be taught by some Bikeability-refuseniks such as the Child Accident Prevention Trust) and still mentioned in Highway Code Rule 187:
cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so
but they've been obstructed from crossing the exit by speeding motorists.

So it's clearly justifiable, but I agree with @CopperCyclist that it's usually not the best practice. Certainly for larger roundabouts, the best option is to use the cycle track bypass ;) but failing that, ride in the middle of the appropriate lane (not sure how I can "act like a car" - lug a ton of unnecessary metal around with me? :laugh:)

The Highway Code is clear.

1. It offers best practice for cyclists. Rule 76.
2. It recognises that some cyclists lack the confidence (or competence!) to treat the RAB according to Rules 184 to 190.

3. And it puts the onus on more powerful vehicles to respect those cyclists (or horse riders) lacking confidence (or competence), who hug the left hand lane (gutter!) ... and "Allow them to do so."

Do I like this cyclist's approach? No way.

And, for motors, that's tough. Up to them to drive with patience and courtesy. End of.

Ah - the sort of roundabout designed purely and simply for the convenience of fast motorists.

The sort I get off and walk many, many times - I won't ride it until I feel I've got a sufficient understanding of the motorised traffic flows.

A design failure.

I cross l that roundabout when I commute. Its a bitch to cross. I go from Portbury common to the Sheepway on the way in & the reverse on the way home.
I can understand what the cyclist did, and why he or she did it. I find that to claim the lane and stand tall works for me, but having said that a woman came from the Portbury hundred one evening and nearly had me. At least she apologized:angry:. after I'd slapped the roof of the car.:ohmy:
It's so busy, its basically the only way in or out of Portishead by car.

[QUOTE 4140356, member: 45"]Have you seen what they've done to the start of the Hundred off that roundabout this week? To give more double-lane to cars coming off the Hundred they've reduced the slip off the roundabout to one, narrow lane for a fair distance, and painted a solid white line. So now any cyclist riding out of Portishead is going to hold up and annoy drivers who can't get past.[/QUOTE]
No, i'm on shift atm & I don't generally ride in in the winter when on shift. Do you mean outbound from Portishead on wyndham way?

classic33

Leg End Member
How about using this one, during the morning rush hour. Staying on the A58, heading from left to right.
J26.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
People will go around roundabouts when they think it's clear, Some people have more bottle than others so they don't hang about, others will take a bit longer, What's the problem.

classic33

Leg End Member
He positioned himself where HE felt safe.:okay:
Where he felt safe, OR where he felt he should be?

An increasing amount of people, cyclists included, don't see/count cyclists as "traffic". Something we are when using the roads.

Top Bottom