Bike Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harveymt

I normally clean my bike with hot water and some Fairy. It takes the worst off but there's always a film of dirt over everything that won't shift, presumably it's grease, tar from the roads etc. I'm taking cleaning and maintenance a bit more seriously now as I'm planing to upgrade my bike soon. Might as well practice and make mistakes on the old one.
Lots and lots of cleaning products available and it seems you can over analyse what you use but would I be right in thinking if I got Muc-Off Bike degreaser and sprayed this over the bike this would remove most of the stubborn stuff. I would then give it a clean with soapy water. Then finally a spray with GT85 would drive off any water where it shoudn't be and give a protective film that should make cleaning easier the next time? Lube things that need it when dry.
That sound about right?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't use dishwash liquid, it's full of salt as a thickener. Use car shampoo with wax and polish the paintwork with car polish, which is a fine abrasive suspended in paraffin, which dissolves greasy dirt very effectively.

bpsmith

Veteran
Ditto above. Do NOT use Fairy (other brands are also frowned upon). It takes every last bit of protection off the frame and dries it out, leaving it exposed to all sorts of damage.

I tend to use car shampoo, or Muc-Off on mine. Only polish the frame if it has any marks on it and dont use polish to remove grease or dirt, it will only mark the paintwork more. If the frame is clean and mark/scratch free then just put a sealant or wax on it and buff off. If it has a mark or scratch then only then should you use anything abrasive and in as small a quantity as needed.

Lube regularly, but dont ride until fully dry.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ditto above. Do NOT use Fairy (other brands are also frowned upon). It takes every last bit of protection off the frame and dries it out, leaving it exposed to all sorts of damage.

Sorry, this is complete cobblers.
Takes off what protection from the frame? And exposed to what damage?

I have been using washy up liquid for years, rinsed off properly, dried then a polish with Mr Sheen.
Certainly to no detriment to my bikes or frames.

I use it on Steel, Alu, Carbon and Ti. And as a good few members on the forum will tell you, my bikes look immaculate for their ages.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

I have been using washy up liquid for years, rinsed off properly, dried then a polish with Mr Sheen.

I use it on Steel, Alu, Carbon and Ti. And as a good few members on the forum will tell you, my bikes look immaculate for their ages.
Christ they will melt! :ohmy::whistle:

bpsmith

Veteran

Fairy liquid strips everything off the paint and leaves just the clean paint. You haven't noticed as you use Mr Sheen after it. If you didn't, then you would soon appreciate the damage.

Try washing your car with Fairy and leaving it for a few days. In fact, try following up with Mr Sheen and see how many swirls you can see in the paint.

Not to mention the Salt element on metal components.

I know a few things about Detailing, don't worry.

screenman

Legendary Member
Of course between the paint and anything we use on it is normally a nice layer of laquer, which protects the paint.

TFR and a jet wash is used here.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Fairy liquid strips everything off the paint and leaves just the clean paint. You haven't noticed as you use Mr Sheen after it. If you didn't, then you would soon appreciate the damage.

Try washing your car with Fairy and leaving it for a few days. In fact, try following up with Mr Sheen and see how many swirls you can see in the paint.

Not to mention the Salt element on metal components.

I know a few things about Detailing, don't worry.

Not noticed Any of this with my bikes or the car. But as I said they are rinsed off properly first.

bpsmith

Veteran
Let's not make this into something major. I am just pointing out that lots of people use washing liquid and don't protect afterwards. Clearly you do, so not an issue. I hate the idea of using it at all, in case I can't protect where I can't reach.

Different people, different opinions and that's what make CycleChat great. :smile:

S.Giles

In the past I have used washing-up liquid to artificially 'age' aluminium and zinc-plated components for various replica projects I was working on. As stated, it contains salt, which is what does the (intentional, in this case) damage. Done properly this can make brand new components look decades old. (Edit: I think I used to add extra salt to speed-up the process, but the point stands - W/U liquid contains salt).

Not so great if this happens accidentally to the exposed metal parts of a new bicycle.

Having made that point, I must admit that I used washing-up liquid to clean my bike just yesterday! I'm not really that concerned with the aesthetic aspects of my £60 Ebay purchase (just so long as it works properly), but would probably feel differently had I spent £1000 or more.

Steve

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In the past I have used washing-up liquid to artificially 'age' aluminium and zinc-plated components for various replica projects I was working on. As stated, it contains salt, which is what does the (intentional, in this case) damage. Done properly this can make brand new components look decades old. (Edit: I think I used to add extra salt to speed-up the process).

Not so great if this happens accidentally to the exposed metal parts of a new bicycle, though.

Having made that point, I must admit that I used washing-up liquid to clean my bike just yesterday! I'm not really that concerned with the aesthetic aspects of my £60 Ebay purchase (just so long as it works properly), but would probably feel differently had I spent £1000 or more.

Steve

My Specialized Roubaix Elite which I bought in 2009 for a lot more then £1000 is in as good condition now as when I first bought it.

Last edited:

S.Giles

My Specialized Roubaix Elite which I bought in 2009 for a lot more then £1000 is as good condition now as when I first bought it.

It works for you, so that's fine. I must say that I've never noticed any harm happen as a result of using W/U liquid for cleaning, but being aware of its salt content, I wouldn't be able to recommend it to anyone for use on metal parts.

Crankarm

Guru
Let's not make this into something major. I am just pointing out that lots of people use washing liquid and don't protect afterwards. Clearly you do, so not an issue. I hate the idea of using it at all, in case I can't protect where I can't reach.

Different people, different opinions and that's what make CycleChat great. :smile:

Well I've always used hot water and washing up liquid to clean my bikes and a hose pipe to rinse them down, never ever had a problem with the finish of the paint or bright work deteriorating on any of my bikes. So gawd knows why you are spreading this climate of fear that bikes that are not being cleaned as per your regime will suddenly dissolve into dust is bewildering. The only salt that kills a bike or more precisely the components is road salt from winter riding, but Fairy liquid no chance. I suppose if you left all the foamy bubbles on it and didn't rinse them off with the hose then maybe after 10 million years it might finally disintegrate into dust but I think you and I and our grandchildren might be well dead by then. Cassettes, deraillieurs, chain and chain sets I take off to clean with engine degreaser relube then re-fit.

Do you work for Autoglym or such similar?

Last edited:
Top Bottom