Bike fiddling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
On the way home from a hospital appointment this lunch time I stopped off at the Bristol Golf Centre to use their cafe. As well as a pro shop and driving range they have a Pirate Bay crazy golf course, so on a warm day in the school holidays it can be very busy so I try to sit within sight of where my bike is locked up.

Today I decided to sit outside and chose the table nearest my bike, however there was a security fence between me and my bike. A large group of young men with their carers then turned up, one of them making a beeline for my bike and started fiddling about with it. The carers just stood back and watched him as he wrenched the handlebars around etc (The golf centre only has wheel breaker locking facilities and it was the front wheel that was in the slot). Finally I'd had enough and calmly but with a probable note of annoyance in my voice asked him to leave my bike alone. Only then did one of the carers act.

What would you have done? Have you had similar experiences? I was probably more annoyed with the carers than the young man himself.

Archeress x

Levo-Lon

Guru
Id have been onto the lad before he started messing...im not bothered who it is..no touchy my bike..
the carer should have also been more in control too..

bikes can be very expensive these days..after all

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd have immediately told him to get his hands off it. Had they declined id have offered to remove their hands from it on their behalf. Not very good careers who let their charges play with items that could harm them, or bring about an unpleasant confrontation.

classic33

Leg End Member
The minute the hand was left on the bike, I'd have said something.

Given he was with carers doesn't excuse the carers lack of intrest in one of those they should have been watching.

I've a nice alarm fitted to the Brox. Always gets someone looking at it. But move it too far....

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I had something similar at Sainsburys, locked up my trike to the cycle stands went off to do my shopping, when I got back a young child about 4 years was sat on it, the mirrors had been twisted round and the two side handle bar bags opened I told him to get off a woman told me to f off and not to speak to her child and then said “he's only a child” YES but YOUR NOT she replied “but “he's only a child”, when I told her how much it costs she replied “you can afford it” people have no respect these day for other people belongings.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sorry Archeress, it just looked so whizzy fast and shiny, and I couldn't help it. I slip my career a fiver so he turns a blind eye to my random grapplings with mechanical objects. If I give him a tenner he even lets me sniff the saddles.
Is that meant to be funny? Mocking the disabled?

I would have spoken with the carer

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Is that meant to be funny? Mocking the disabled?

I didn't mock anybody, I just claimed to be the person who interfered with the bike for some comic effect. I accept not everyone will find that funny, if you're offended I apologise.

I would have spoken with the carer

Well yes, in the real world, I think we all would.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Anything more than ringing the bell (people seem compelled to touch them), would have had me going and standing next to it. But I wouldn't have a problem with them being fascinated with it, I've often looked at unusual bikes, nice bikes etc and if the owner is there or appears I've then stuck up a conversation with them myself. (I wouldn't let them fiddle with any adjustments).

Top Bottom