Bike incident this morning - seeking advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ekbe01

Regular
Hi hi, I've just been in an incident and would like to understand the potential consequences.
The incident happened on an unregulated intersection, I was moving straight, and the car was turning right from an oncoming line.
I'm not injured. My bike is damaged, as well as the car involved in the incident (his front bumper and left door). There were several witnesses, but no one left their contact details.
The driver says it was my fault and was going to file a claim against me. Hmm...
The driver took my bag and searched it (!!) trying to find my ID.
A police car was passing by and stopped. I don't know what exactly the police registered in their files, but I have a CAD number, the driver's details and a photo of his car (showing the number and damages).
I would like to understand whether the driver can file a claim against me, and what I can do to protect myself.
Also, don't know whether I should visit a hospital, I'm still shaking.
Will really appreciate your advice.
Kat

Tim Hall

That sounds like a Bad Thing. From what you say it sounds like the driver is talking through his hat - if he's turning across the line of traffic he should give way to the traffic he's crossing. And as for searching your bag!

It's a shame you didn't get the witness details. Did the police get any? Get in touch with them and see what they say.

(Daft question: are you in the UK? Some of your language has a transatlantic feel to it, and if you are in the US local laws could well be different)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Welcome to the forum, a shame you could not be here under better circumstances.
Are you able to link to a good map / streetview to explain where you and the car were? I assume in the reference to a CAD number that you are in London?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've just been in an incident and would like to understand the potential consequences.
[...]
Also, don't know whether I should visit a hospital, I'm still shaking.

Until you've been to hospital, you won't really know what might be the most significant potential consequences. I say if there's any doubt at all, get yourself checked out. It will put your mind at rest if nothing else, and if there are consequences along the line, having a medical record to point back to will only help.

Sorry to read this.

OP
OP
ekbe01

ekbe01

Regular
Thanks for all your comments.
In a hospital now, getting checked. Will post a link to a map later today.
I am in London. I'm a foreigner, that might explain my language )

Tim Hall

Thanks for all your comments.
In a hospital now, getting checked. Will post a link to a map later today.
I am in London. I'm a foreigner, that might explain my language )
Good move going to hospital. Sorry you had such a bad welcome to London.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well in terms of priority you were in the right and he should not have turned. Technically he can make a claim against you, but it is incredibly likely to fail at the first hurdle. Seeing as you have suffered loss, I would contact someone like http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/personal-injury/cycling/ and see what they have to say. Hopefully the police got some witness statements.

OP
OP
ekbe01

ekbe01

Regular
Thank you. And thanks to all of you for all your support.
The police came much later when the witnesses disappear - I don't know if any of them contacted the police themselves (and don't know how to check it).
Wd love to know if there's a camera there - might be a good idea to have a look of the incident again and understand my mistake (mistake no.1 - not wearing a helmet)

machew

Veteran
1) Take a photo of the road with any signs or road markings visible.
2) Take a photo of your bike, highlighting any damage, with ruler for scale
3) Take a photo of any injuries, again with ruler for scale
4) Write down what happened and store this safely
5) Contact a solicitors who deal with cycling accidents

OP
OP
ekbe01

ekbe01

Regular
thank you.
(1) google street view?
(2) and (4) done
(3) no visible injuries. concussion.
(5) talked to solicitors - they only take cases with injuries involved. they're not interested in bicycle damages )

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can contact his insurers direct.

Turning right across on-coming traffic - you have right of way. Same thing happened to me in November, although my bike got away with it, I didn't.

The driver is in the wrong. Has he supplied contact details ?

Top Bottom