Bike incident this morning - seeking advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

thank you.
(1) google street view?
(2) and (4) done
(3) no visible injuries. concussion.
(5) talked to solicitors - they only take cases with injuries involved. they're not interested in bicycle damages )
Except you were injured. Concussion, it's a serious thing.

OP
OP
ekbe01

ekbe01

Regular
You can contact his insurers direct...
Has he supplied contact details ?
Yes, I've got his contact details and a photo of his car.
How do I contact his insurer?

toontra

Veteran
That must have been a horrible experience - firstly the accident and then having to deal with an aggressive driver. As others have said he is clearly in the wrong from your description, and asking to look in your bag is totally out of order, and probably illegal.

Well done for getting yourself to a hospital. It's too early to tell if you have any injuries because the adrenalin will be masking pain. Bruising will take hours/days to show properly, plus you will have suffered psychological trauma, something which is routinely compensated.

Can't help with how to go about contacting the driver's insurance - possibly the police will tell you, or failing that any solicitor can check. Good luck!

Although you weren't injured physically you bike has been damaged so you are off the road.

Make sure you keep receipts and records of everything. Bus fares, lost earnings, inability to attend events, taxis etc. These records help add substance to any claim you make against him.

I would reccomend keeping a photo diary. Takes photos if any bruising does occur and take further photos as it heals.

@fossyant any further advice to add?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes, I've got his contact details and a photo of his car.
How do I contact his insurer?

You are going to need to ask him for them if you don't have a solicitor.

Check your household insurance to see if there is any legal cover. PS It's always a good idea to be a member of British Cycling or CTC for their solicitors help.

I didn't chase the driver as I had a solicitor that took up my case (major injury). If the driver refuses, then tell him you'll contact the police as individuals involved in accidents must hand over their details.

His insurer will pay up if you can get the details.

OP
OP
ekbe01

ekbe01

Regular
[QUOTE 4267104, member: 9609"]He took your bag off you and searched it ? without your permission? Have you reported this to the police? this has to be a serious offence![/QUOTE]
That's correct. And I have a witness. I reported this to the police, but I don't know whether they registered it.

It may be worth contacting British Cycling. Indeed , you may be able to join them now and retrospectively use their legal cover.
Thank you. Will do.

OP
OP
ekbe01

ekbe01

Regular
Just got a call from an insurance company. The car driver accepted the full responsibility for the incident, and they will cover bicycle repair and pay some compensation (don't know the amount, but happy he's accepted responsibility).
I think there's nothing else I'm going to do now. Waiting for the quote from a bicycle shop.
Thanks for all your support. Will join British Cycling ) and probably buy a helmet )

gavintc

Guru
Just got a call from an insurance company. The car driver accepted the full responsibility for the incident, and they will cover bicycle repair and pay some compensation (don't know the amount, but happy he's accepted responsibility).
I think there's nothing else I'm going to do now. Waiting for the quote from a bicycle shop.
Thanks for all your support. Will join British Cycling ) and probably buy a helmet )
I mentioned BC, I have been a member for years. Make sure you choose the one with legal cover. I think it is called Ride. But also look at CTC - similar concept.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome to CC @ekbe01.
I'm sorry to read about your crash, hope you're not too sore.
Wait before you accept settlement by the insurance, try to get your own solicitor too.
Maybe more damage to your body will be discovered in the next few weeks, so the compensation could increase. What if you can't work because you suddenly develop dizziness?
Take care!

The car driver accepted the full responsibility for the incident,
Good. So he damned well should. Sorry - but the idea that HE was "going to file a claim", and HE rifled through your bag for ID ......... left me seething.
and they will cover bicycle repair and pay some compensation
Keep your receipts! Not just for the bike repairs, but ALL the "incidental" expenses incurred as well - transport while your bike is off the road, etc etc.

Karlt

Just got a call from an insurance company. The car driver accepted the full responsibility for the incident,

I expect once he contacted them and described the circumstances they made it pretty clear they had no option but to hold him responsible. God alone knows on what grounds he was initially blaming you.

and they will cover bicycle repair and pay some compensation (don't know the amount, but happy he's accepted responsibility).

Don't accept any final offers for compensation for injuries until you're sure nothing else is going to emerge.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I expect once he contacted them and described the circumstances they made it pretty clear they had no option but to hold him responsible. God alone knows on what grounds he was initially blaming you.
Car Driver vs More Vulnerable Road User? More Vulnerable Road User is always wrong, in opinion of Car Driver.

It's the law of the jungle.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

Get yourself checked out by a Doctor to be on the safe side and to ensure that any underlying problems (whiplash, joint damage....) that may continue for a long time get thought about and considered in any compensation claim. Sometimes it takes a while for the full extent of injuries to show through, I'm not suggesting faking it or trying to cheat the insurers for money, if you are perfectly well then good, but you need to be sure that you have an impartial overview just in case. After a very heavy car accident I ended up paying out near 3 x my total compensation figure in physio, chiropractic etc bills over a long time to get myself healthy and near pain free agin.

Ad for helmets, see earlier link, there is a long running conversation on them but just a quick thought : if you feel that you'll be safer wearing one in the future, go for it, but you're alive and well and clearly thinking and typing straight, after a collision, maybe its not your top priority to be thinking about right now.

subaqua

What’s the point
Get yourself checked out by a Doctor to be on the safe side and to ensure that any underlying problems (whiplash, joint damage....) that may continue for a long time get thought about and considered in any compensation claim. Sometimes it takes a while for the full extent of injuries to show through, I'm not suggesting faking it or trying to cheat the insurers for money, if you are perfectly well then good, but you need to be sure that you have an impartial overview just in case. After a very heavy car accident I ended up paying out near 3 x my total compensation figure in physio, chiropractic etc bills over a long time to get myself healthy and near pain free agin.

Ad for helmets, see earlier link, there is a long running conversation on them but just a quick thought : if you feel that you'll be safer wearing one in the future, go for it, but you're alive and well and clearly thinking and typing straight, after a collision, maybe its not your top priority to be thinking about right now.

This.

Top Bottom