Bike incident this morning - seeking advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toontra

Veteran
Just to back up what others have said - don't accept any offer yet. Better to wait and see if any injuries develop. Good that they've accepted liability though - that should make it a relatively straight-forward process.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi hi, I've just been in an incident and would like to understand the potential consequences.
The incident happened on an unregulated intersection, I was moving straight, and the car was turning right from an oncoming line.
I'm not injured. My bike is damaged, as well as the car involved in the incident (his front bumper and left door). There were several witnesses, but no one left their contact details.
The driver says it was my fault and was going to file a claim against me. Hmm...
The driver took my bag and searched it (!!) trying to find my ID.
A police car was passing by and stopped. I don't know what exactly the police registered in their files, but I have a CAD number, the driver's details and a photo of his car (showing the number and damages).
I would like to understand whether the driver can file a claim against me, and what I can do to protect myself.
Also, don't know whether I should visit a hospital, I'm still shaking.
Will really appreciate your advice.
Kat
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/accident-advice.151618/ will give you somewhere to start from

I'd say the driver was in the wrong from the minute he took your bag and went through it. That's more like theft, and adds a new dimension to what had happened prior to that.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If you commute around london during some of the peak hours like i do - It pays to have a helmet camera or a small camera mounted to the bar & seatpost of your bike for insurance purposes - There are so many bad drivers on the roads and you never know when you'll be unlucky enough to have a 'run in' with one of them which unfortunately you already have.

Cameras dont need to cost the world, You can get some on amazon for £30-40 each decent mounts are probably between £5-10. Ive had issues with black cabbies randomly pulling out on me and in one instance i even got clipped in the arm by the wing mirror of an Addison Lee vehicle being driven stupidly fast.

Obviously its your own decision if you wish to get a camera(s). Sure it can be a hassle having to recharge it every 2-3 rides but it provides a solid peice of mind at the end of the day as you have footage of an idiot driver.

Tin Pot

Guru
That's a suspiciously fast turn around from the insurers isn't it?

@ekbe01
Even the police are not allowed to do what he did, so although I can't quote the law, taking your bag and searching it is illegal.

Moreover it's a moral outrage, people like him need to be stopped and taught a lesson. I would encourage you to ask a solicitor for advice.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to read about your incident, and particularly the attitude of the other person involved. It was outrageous from start to finish. I'll be charitable and assume they were in shock, but all the same, to go through your personal stuff is disgraceful.

It's a relief to hear you've suffered no apparent physical damage, but I can well imagine you have some stress and anxiety to deal with,and wish you all the best with that. This is a good place to off load if you need to.

As for the bike, it seems the insurance company are on the job.

My question, if you don't mind me asking, is, how did the insurance company find out? Did the other person report it to them? It concerns me to think that someone has so little knowledge of roads that they expected their insurance to agree that they were right and pay out for their repairs.

OP
OP
ekbe01

ekbe01

Regular
My question, if you don't mind me asking, is, how did the insurance company find out? Did the other person report it to them? It concerns me to think that someone has so little knowledge of roads that they expected their insurance to agree that they were right and pay out for their repairs.
The driver called them as soon as the incident happened, and then the insurance company called me (i didn't even know the name of his insurer)

snorri

Legendary Member
The driver called them as soon as the incident happened, and then the insurance company called me (i didn't even know the name of his insurer)
Are you sure it was an Insurance company that phoned? Did they give a company name, quote a Claim number and give contact details?
I'm astonished that any insurance company would be agreeing to payout on the same day that the incident occurred.

OP
OP
ekbe01

ekbe01

Regular
Are you sure it was an Insurance company that phoned? Did they give a company name, quote a Claim number and give contact details?
Yes, I'm sure.
I'm astonished that any insurance company would be agreeing to payout on the same day that the incident occurred.
They called and accepted their client's responsibility several days after the incident. Paid about a month after it (and a week after I submitted all papers). They had a risk that the payment would increase dramatically if they didn't resolve the issue themselves ))

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm sure.

They called and accepted their client's responsibility several days after the incident. Paid about a month after it (and a week after I submitted all papers). They had a risk that the payment would increase dramatically if they didn't resolve the issue themselves ))
That's an amazing result for you.

Good

I suspect the fella wouldn't have searched your bag if you were a man, sounds like a thick daffodil exerting his ego on a women to me.

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm sure.They called and accepted their client's responsibility several days after the incident. Paid about a month after it (and a week after I submitted all papers). They had a risk that the payment would increase dramatically if they didn't resolve the issue themselves ))
In that case, I'm still astonished, but astonished in a good way^_^.
Wishing you safe cycling:smile:.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yes, I'm sure.

Name them and praise them!

Decent insurance companies just want to pay what they owe - partly because it costs less in internal costs to pay up cheerfully than to give claimants the run-around.

Top Bottom