Bike lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I prefer battery lights for touring

I use the B&M Ixon as recommended in this fair Parish, and an IX rear light

The beauty of batteries is that they can always be purchased in an emergency wherever you are

These are also bright, have a filtered beam and a reasonable battery life

Of course the advantage of both is they are Germany legal

Therefore satisfy the requirements for UK use under them"equivalent EU Regulation" clause

OP
OP
Surlydave

Surlydave

Über Member
I prefer battery lights for touring

I use the B&M Ixon as recommended in this fair Parish, and an IX rear light

The beauty of batteries is that they can always be purchased in an emergency wherever you are

These are also bright, have a filtered beam and a reasonable battery life

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I we talking battery or hub?

I we talking battery or hub?

Both have strengths for touring and commuting, but my thinking is:

The "fit and forget" utility of a fixed system and no limit on how long they can be used makes a hub (or tyre dynamo) easy to use, but is more expensive to set up and unique to that bike.

Battery lights have the need to carry (or obtain) extra batteries, can be removed from the bike to prevent theft, but are an investment that can be transferred from bike to bike.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
but are an investment that can be transferred from bike to bike.
That's what I'm look at in my choices, rather than a wired external battery option.

1 high power battery light (with plenty of bats on the saddle bag) or 2 lower powered for the MTB this I can take off and fit to an extra mount on the roady

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have recently had a dynamo hub fitted to my Koga Roadchamp with. 300 Lux B&M light. Thats it now, I can ride with it on both at night and daylight hours and básically forget it.

No more running out of battery power or having to charge batteries up.

The bike lift was a bargain as well a fiver from Aldi :0)

imagejpg3_zps9507cbb4.jpg

I can see the big pluses of dynamo front light but if the OP is looking for a battery front light for touring, which I'd assume means being able to see on non-lit roads, I'd recommend the Hope Vision 1.

The more recent models are very efficient with batteries and have the added advantage (mine doesn't so it features the rather alarming instant shut-off!!) of a low battery light. I'd take it with a charger - possibly two - a "kind" one and a "cruel" one which will allow you to rapid charge the batteries. You could do the battery-cruel thing while sat in friendly cafe/bar or in the UK Wspoons.

Swapping batteries fitted into "cartridges" takes seconds.

it also makes an excellent campsite torch.

I wish I'd discovered it years ago. I have a far too large collection of front lights bought on a whim/oo that looks nice/offers a tiny incremental advantage over something I already had.

YACF has a massive thread on the merits of this light.

Loads of decent be-seen back lights of course.

I personally would standardise on lights using AAs. Makes carrying spares/swapping batteries far simpler.

20 quid from Halfords. I had complaints from NASA that the guys on the ISS were having trouble sleeping because of the light these bad boys were kicking out. They are rechargeable ( from a USB / iPhone charger) and have high, low, and flashing modes. They are as bright as the 40 quid Lezeyne numbers that got nicked off my bike last week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom