Bike lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
It all depends where you are going to use it, how long for and will the bike locked be in your view.
Have a look at the Bike lock guide on the site you linked to for what kind of lock you will need.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi all, the Mrs has been in the bike shop today, I am banned for a while due to over spending recently haha, she come across this
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Surel...le_shopping&gclid=CNjd2YCU4s4CFeYy0wodBlQHgQ#

Is it any good? I was hoping to use it on its own or possibly invest in 2. Any advice would be grateful. Currently got a normal combination lock but it takes up most of the cycle bag.

Its a cafe lock, only good for locking up your bike outside whilst you nip in the cafe for a coffee

D

Deleted member 1258

As above, I have one, could probably be cut with sturdy nail scissors

I have a cheap Hawks Cycles lock, I think the average bike thief would be disappointed if they hadn't got through it in five seconds, its only used at coffee stops on long rides. I have a sturdy cable lock as well, should keep a thief occupied for about thirty seconds, it gets used for day to day use when I don't judge the risk as being high, I also have a bronze standard lock and chain, it weigh's about as much as the bike does, which should be a challenge to the average thief, I use this when I think the risk is high.

simongt

Guru
From personal experience, I would avoid cable locks, except for as mentioned for a 'cafe stop' occasion. The glw's bike was locked up using a Cateye cable lock and when she returned to the stand, the lock was in pieces on the ground - no bike. :eek: A double locking D lock or a welded link chain + close shackle padlock is always a good investment; heavyish yes, but minor weight penalty vs. risk of no bike - no contest. Apparently, the rule of thumb is to spend at least 10% of the value of the bike on a suitable lock. :thumbsup:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Another vote gor the pitbull shackle lock.Very secure gold rated lock.

Cable locks are only good for brief stops in low crime areas.A 3 quid cable lock once stopped a thief running off with my bike.it was threaded through the pedal so presumably he didnt notice it.

Top Bottom