Bike security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

preece3

hello all,

My family has just come back from our holidays in France and realised how much we want to take our bikes next time, my worries are when we are out how do I lock them up?

My wheels and seat are all quick release and so are my wife’s, what’s the best way and how to lock them up securely to a lamppost etc.?

Also what locks and chains do you suggest?

thanks
john

Can't you keep your bikes inside the house, gîte, chateau?

Also it depends on where and how long they are to be locked up. If a number of bikes are locked together then it shouldn't be too easy for a casual thief to get them. I use a safeman lock http://www.safemanusa.com/info.html if the bike is in sight (whilst I'm at a caf or bar) or need to dash to a shop or toilet.

For longer periods a sturdy lock and a thick cable like this http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-720018830504-KryptoFlex-Double-Security/dp/B000LF86IC.

OP
OP
preece3

preece3

Hello,

Thanks for the reply, when we are at the little house i will have the bikes inside, but I’m thinking when we have a ride to a town or village and want to have a walk around how do I lock them up?

Do I take all the wheels off? As you can tell I have no idea at all about cycling.

snorri

Legendary Member
but I’m thinking when we have a ride to a town or village and want to have a walk around how do I lock them up?
Do I take all the wheels off? As you can tell I have no idea at all about cycling.
Perhaps having heard of the anti-theft measures taken by cyclists in central London and Amsterdam you are a little over concerned.
Bike theft in small towns and villages is not an everyday event.

You may not have as much choice as you think

Check with your insurance company for their approved locks

If your lock is not approved it may invalidate a claim if the worst should happen

Sandra6

Veteran
What do you do when you're out in the UK?
Just do that.
I use a standard cable lock, and have a longer one for when we're out as a family. My bike has quick release wheels but they are fairly stuck.
I don't expect to have my bike stolen in the same way I don't expect the car to be nicked from a carpark

Top Bottom