Bike security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a look and couldn't find anything specific, so feel free to link me up if a thread exists, but has anyone got any useful tips and tricks for minimising the chances of getting your bike nicked when out and about?

I bought what I thought were reasonable locks, a couple for each bike, locked them in a prominent place (that I wrongly assumed was covered by CCTV) and still ended up walking home from the local leisure centre.

I'd really like to cycle to the gym, but having been bitten and looking at the bits of bike lock scattered near the front doors, just daren't do it. The manager's sympathetic and doesn't seem to grumble at people locking their bikes up as near to the foyer as possible but I'm still not convinced.

One trick seems to be to buy an absolute pile of scrap with no resale value, which I'd certaiinly consider but it detracts from some of the pleasure of riding.

leemo

Commuter
I have a decent bike for work which I lock in a secure garge, and a mediocre looking old 3speed which I use when I need to leave it somewhere unsecure. I use a mid-range d-lock and a cable on the 3speed.

So I'd recommend you do that. Or maybe conside a folder and see if you can bring it inside the gym e.g. fit in a locker.

Turtle Dude

I've had a look and couldn't find anything specific, so feel free to link me up if a thread exists, but has anyone got any useful tips and tricks for minimising the chances of getting your bike nicked when out and about?

I bought what I thought were reasonable locks, a couple for each bike, locked them in a prominent place (that I wrongly assumed was covered by CCTV) and still ended up walking home from the local leisure centre.

I'd really like to cycle to the gym, but having been bitten and looking at the bits of bike lock scattered near the front doors, just daren't do it. The manager's sympathetic and doesn't seem to grumble at people locking their bikes up as near to the foyer as possible but I'm still not convinced.

One trick seems to be to buy an absolute pile of scrap with no resale value, which I'd certaiinly consider but it detracts from some of the pleasure of riding.

Out of interest, what locks did you use ? Do you know how they stole the bike ?

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Out of interest, what locks did you use ? Do you know how they stole the bike ?

It was a while ago they got taken, I've just avoided cycling there since, but from memory they were one cable lock and one D lock on each bike (mine and my childs), but in all honesty they were cheap models. I seem to recall some were left dangling relocked, others were missing. At the gym, the thieves seem to enjoy leaving the locks on the stands, fastened and complete, especially the more robust looking ones. I guess it's to taunt.

They weren't even decent bikes, but to my then 8 year old they were and it's certainly limited where they'll cycle to since then.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I've had two bikes nicked and am currently on my third, four years now and no incidents:smile:. My tips would be:

Use two locks, around front wheel and second on frame. Rear wheel is less likely to get nicked as it crims haven't time to get it off the gears etc. I use a U-lock and abus chain. Heavy to carry, but real deterrent.

Don't 'bling' your bike too much. It attracts thieves like flies to s**t.

Use locking skewers and seatpost clamp. Once had my saddle pinched and had to ride home standing up!.

Get your steed tagged, if not already, and make it obvious with the free stickers you get - plaster them in obvious places on the frame.

A no-brainer: Remove pump/saddlebag/lights etc.

Unlike David Cameron, lock your bike to a proper stand. Use the lock at the base of the frame and try to leave no gaps so crims can lever it off with tools.

Park your bike if possible, in full view of any CCTV, in a brightly lit area with lots of people around (thieves have to work fast and don't like witnesses).

Don't buy cheap locks, things like those bits of feeble cable with combination lock. A guy in a bike shop once showed me how fast thieves can break them. Go for top range Abus products or kryptonite locks.

At home, I park my bike in a security shed and had a friend adapt the floor to bolt a sheffield stand into the concrete base. I have often wondred if GPS tracking devices exist for bikes. It would have to be installed in the frame, with a very, very long life battery. Not technically impossible, as they come for cars and I have smoke alarms in my house with ten-year battery life. However, since some crims are just stupid, I wonder if a simple printed sticker with "This bike is fitted with GPS tracking" would suffice as a deterrent.

Finally, get your bikes insured. Cycleguard have been good to me.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Use the lock at the base of the frame and try to leave no gaps so crims can lever it off with tools.

Why does it help at the base of the frame, is the frame stronger at that point? (I usually lock mine through the rear triangle and wheel ... making sure there is no gaps as you said and that the lock is not near the ground which I gather gets the thief greater leverage).

Also lock it up near bikes which have weaker locks than yours ... so they are tempted by the other bike (unless yours is so nice to make it worth the extra effort).

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
If you put the lock just around the top, thieves can use tools to lever it off. Putting it lower down, preferably around the widest part of your frame and stand, lessens the chance of anyone getting a tool in to force the lock. The trick is not to leave them any room.

Turtle Dude

sabian92

Über Member
I've got a Kryptonite Kryptolok - decent lock, Silver Rated and cheap, about £25 from Evans. Look into one of those maybe? I only got it because it was a prerequisite of my insurance policy but now I'm glad I have it. Definitely look into a D-lock that's at least Silver Rated.

I've had my bike locked up at one of the local libraries when other bikes around mine have been stolen, but the thieves never looked at mine. Maybe it has something to do with the two locks both a U-Bolt/D-lock and a cable lock, as well as a Topeak bike cover.

When I lock my bike up, I thread the cable through both wheels, and secure the U-Bolt around the frame and rack. Then I cover everything with the Topeak cover. Which protects it from the sun's rays, as well as keeps it out of their prying eyes. Also for those of us who ride a bike with disc brakes we can put a small padlock through the rotor. I also have an On-Guard security cable that secures my saddle to my bike. My cable is also an On-Guard, and my U-Bolt is a Masterlock lock.

Also when locking it up, I try to take up as much slack as I possibly can, but sadly sometimes it's not always that easy.

Turtle Dude

this is a really good thread from another forum on locks, chains, d-locks etc.

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

From this very informative thread, I would summarise the situations as:

- cable locks useless
- chains only work when they are too heavy to be carried; only good for fixed home or work situations
- quality d-locks best for portable security (use 2, one front and one rear)
- get something additional that makes a noise
- ignore the sold secure ratings
- 16mm is the magic number to start with (18mm is better)

Top Bottom