Bike weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Manufacturers are often reluctant to put a weight on their bikes. And when they do, they will be pared to the minimum. As an experiment today I weighed my Kona Dew Hybrid with full winter accessories on board. It tipped the scales at 14.5 kg. Anyone else care to share their "all-up" bike weight.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't care to even bother weighing mine I'm afraid. Provided they're not complete boat anchors it's not really of relevance to an 18 stone man.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have no idea what mine weighs and have no concept of the average, bad or good weight of a bike. I cant even correlate what 14kg would feel like.

I do know that one of my bikes feels lighter that the other two and that when I sit on all of them, they are about the same.

I think, if I were to invest in a high priced carbon weekend bike then I would start to learn more about weight as it seems to be a big differentiator but for now at least, I am rather happy to remain ignorant of these facts.

J

MikeW-71

Veteran
When I was bothered to measure it, the carbon Defy weighed in at 7.9kg with it's lighter wheels on. The hardtail MTB was 13kg. Those are with saddlebags, bottles and pumps removed, just the bare bike.

The old steel Raleigh might break the scales, but it's heavier then the MTB for sure.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Nazca Fuego with small rack-pack + spare tubes, flagpole etc - 20kg.

Fuego at Ford-Jne15.jpg

Only about 40 50 60 kg less than the rider ... :whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
'70s steel-frame fixie: 10.8 Kg - with front and back light. Apparently track bikes tend to be heavier because they need a thicker seat tube to handle the massive twisty torquey twistiness thrusting from my immense bulging thigh muscles. Or something. Certainly my old (653) road-bike conversion was lighter.

spiderman2

Über Member
specialized sirrus (ali) 12.7kg
specialized roubaix (carbon) 9.0 kg
madison revell (steel) 10.9 kg

gbb

Legendary Member
A lot of the difference is in componentry.
At various stages ive had different bikes stripped to the frame..
Bianchi C2C Via Nirone frame had a very similar weight to my Raleigh 531 1980s frame.
Current carbon...all i know is the full carbon forks and Fulcrum wheel feel remarkably light...so much so it amazed a friend who TBF knows little about bikes, but he was amazed at how feather light it was.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Here's a list of bikes I remember weighing or could find my notes of the weights of. Not all of these are mine! Includes all typical fittings but not luggage or removable lights.
Medium 2014 Bianchi road bike (plastic mudguards, no rack) 11kg
2012 (I think) Dawes folding bike 12kg
Large 1983 Falcon Majorca road bike (Bluemels and brazed rack) 13kg
Large 2009 Revolution Streetfinder hybrid 16kg
Large 1990 Universal Riviera Sport roadster (thin chrome rack) 16kg
Small unknown Apollo Pulse MTB (plastic mudguards) 16kg
Large 2014 Dutchie Dapper roadster (rack about as thick as the stays) 18kg
(EDIT: Large is for a six-footer.)

So all much of a muchness, really. From watching people at the cycling group lift bikes, people call anything over about 15kg heavy, but I can't usually feel the difference when I ride one of the lighter bikes with a rack-top bag with full 3kg toolkit and 1.5kg of locks compared to a small bag with minimal tools. It might make a measurable difference if I'm doing miles and miles at top speed. What makes a big difference to feel is if I have full-width panniers instead of only a rack-top.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
:ohmy: No wonder the dutch are fit dragging that kind of weight round.
As well as the substantial rack and mudguards, it's got permanent lights which adds a bit. I'm told the comparable Pashley Sovereign is significantly heavier but I've not weighed one. Really, once it's carrying 25kg of luggage and 70kg of rider, 5kg difference in weight between roadster&racer isn't much.

Top Bottom