Bikemechanic job in Cyprus anybody?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Wir suchen ab sofort einen Radmechaniker für 1-2 Wochen oder länger. Arbeitsort ist unsere Radstation auf Zypern. Bei Intresse wendet Euch bitte an info@zypernbike.de - hier bekommt Ihr dann auch Informationen zur Vergütung, Unterbringung usw.

We are looking for immediately, a bicycle mechanic for 1-2 weeks or longer. Place of work is our bike station in Cyprus. If intrested contact please info@zypernbike.de - here you will get also information about the remuneration, accommodation, etc

BrynCP

Über Member
How is cycling in Cyprus, particularly on the roads in the southern part? I have been a few times, typically around Paphos and Nicosia, and my impression of their driving skills is they're a bit poor and all a bit eager to get to the next bumper or junction (where they typically ride through until the light turns Green then either stall or stop).

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

How is cycling in Cyprus, particularly on the roads in the southern part? I have been a few times, typically around Paphos and Nicosia, and my impression of their driving skills is they're a bit poor and all a bit eager to get to the next bumper or junction (where they typically ride through until the light turns Green then either stall or stop).

The best cycling in my opinion is definatly in the Turkish sector in the North. The roads there are new, superb, and virtually traffic free. The drivers there are 90% cyclist friendly and you have a lot of flat areas on the Plain as well as some truely spectacular mountains and climbs, as well as the beaches etc. The southern/Greek sector is nice as well, and the Troodos mountains are worth the climb. The roads in th esouth are a lot worse than in the north, and th edrivers are much more ...well...like uk drivers really lol!

The north is less touristy. Both have places to avoid, NICOSSIA being the main one in both cases. Stay well clear of rat holes like Agia Napya.

Best views IMHO Kantara Castle in the North. Great climb (and manageable at just 600m ish), great downhills, empty roads, world class views.

I havent been to Paphos so cannot comment on that.

Limassol, Larnaca, Famagusta, are all just big busy towns full of potholes and traffic. Stay out of th etowns and all will be good.

If you want to know what it's like to ride in Cyprus have a read of my blog here:

http://cyprusonabianchi.blogspot.co.uk/

BrynCP

Über Member
I have been to the North but only as a short trip: walked across the border and spent a short time there. I have been up Troodos a couple of times by car.

The only reason I asked is that I was asked if I wanted to stay in somebody's villa with them just outside of Paphos. I am not really interested in doing so but it occurred to me it could be an opportunity to do some cycling somewhere else, if I could rent a bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
Calling @Blue, come in @Blue!

gbb

Legendary Member
Having worked regularly in southern Cyprus, i always thought i'd like to cycle there, there were a reasonable amount of road cyclists in and around Limassol and while drivers are a bit hairy compared to the UK, i never saw anything that'd make me think..no way.
TBF, i was always there sometime between January and March, temps are good for cycling then, couldnt imagine there would be much fun to be had in the high summer.
Like you Bryn, ive driven up Troodos a few times and always thought i'd love to do that on a bike.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Good point about the temperatures......I was there for a month in april, and will be there again for a month in sept/Oct because thats when the riding is temperatures are best. Summer out there is way to hot, so you'd be limited to 5am starts and back before 10am or evening rides, which limits you in terms of distance if you are staying at one base camp appartment or hotel. The climb from Limassol up to the top of Mount Olympus is well worth the pain, and there will be pain lol! Its a long climb and reaches 2000m + .The roads are fine, and the traffic well behaved there. There are several cafe stops on the climb and a hotel on the top in troodos square if you feel like overnighting up there. It can get very cold up there, especially on the descent, so ride with some arm and leg warmers stuffed in your rear pockets. Limassol has a a very good bike shop in town and is a great place to overnight before the climb. If anybody does stay in limassol I suggest staying in the heart of the old town there (which is beautiful...an oasis in the centre of the urban crap!) at a really cool place I stayed at....with a Guy called Paris ...available on Airbnb . The top of Mt Olympus is a miltary base however and the views can be restricted by the clouds as you will be above them. Thats why the views at Kantara in th eNorth are better in my opinion. On th eplus side the downhill into Limassol is one hell of a ride!

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
I've applied for a job in Cyprus in the north...know a few people working out there who say the cycling is good

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Depends if I get the job...but it prob wont be until the new year...quite a bit to sort out

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Thanks boab...reckon there will be alot of competition for the job...yours sounds like a great job!...mines is nowhere near as good as that....boring IT lol...if I do get it I'll be there by april

Top Bottom