Bikes on a train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I frequently travel on GWR trains with my tourer; normally I don't reserve a space. I avoid bank Holidays and rush hours.
That's good to know. I was hoping to start catching trains from Exeter to other parts of Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset with my bike, then cycling back to my sister's place.

I prefer to keep an eye on the weather forecast and make a last minute decision so needing a bike reservation could have been an issue.

All uphill

Still rolling along
That's good to know. I was hoping to start catching trains from Exeter to other parts of Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset with my bike, then cycling back to my sister's place.

I prefer to keep an eye on the weather forecast and make a last minute decision so needing a bike reservation could have been an issue.

My experience of GWR staff, once you get west of Bristol, is that they are very helpful and really want to get you to where you are going. They respond well to a smile and a request. Less well to snotty customers.

Last week I needed to get me and my bike from the Exeter ticket office to a distant platform. I had 5 minutes. Then I was told the lift was out of order.

One of the GWR staff told me not to rush. He called ahead and they held the London train for a couple of minutes while I manhandled my bike up and down the stairs.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not GWR but I have booked bikes on Greater Anglia on arrival at a station, shortly before the train arrives there, after it had started its journey. Like GWR, they say in some places to reserve 24h ahead, but it's not required, but it may help that some of their trains have 18 bike spaces instead of GWR's 2 or 4.

Not GWR but I have booked bikes on Greater Anglia on arrival at a station, shortly before the train arrives there, after it had started its journey. Like GWR, they say in some places to reserve 24h ahead, but it's not required, but it may help that some of their trains have 18 bike spaces instead of GWR's 2 or 4.

I tried to book a few hours ahead - on GWR - maybe a year (or two) ago. Got a Level9 Paddington stare!
So hopefully this is a sign of progress, not a sign of a procedural lottery :P

rivers

How far can I go?
I travel on GWR with my bike on an almost daily basis. I can confirm the IET trains will take a 700c wheel of normal depth- not a 45mm deep section. Nor is it easy to manhandle my 42mm tyres onto the hook. I normally don't bother hanging it as if I make the IET service, I only travel one stop. I never have a reservation and don't have a problem getting on the train. If I'm travelling further afield (and not commuting)with my bike, I do make a reservation.

presta

Guru
Most of my cycling by train was done on a turn up & go basis, outbound was weather determined, and homebound was a spontaneous decision based on when I'd run out of energy and had enough. Sometimes it was a bit of a hassle, but I never got stranded anywhere.

The last time was 15 years ago now, though.

I remember getting on at Garsdale Head once, and the guard didn't have Braintree on his ticket machine, so I had to get a ticket to Leeds and then trade it in for a Braintree one at the Customer Services desk.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Back home (trains to/from Calderdale) I am used to hopping and off Northern trains with my bike and only failed once at about 17:15 out of Leeds on a weekday when the train was crammed with commuters. The next train was fine.

A bit further afield, I tried doing the same on a Transpennine train and got the disdainful glare of death from the guard when I admitted to not having a reservation!

Gwylan

Veteran

Why do you want to leave Exeter? Do you know something?

Slick

Guru
Let's study the GWR cycling by train brochure:

View attachment 730717
BUT!!

View attachment 730718

So that works out as a maximum tyre width of ~2.7" and a maximum rim diameter of ~20". I wonder if they meant "rim" rather than "tyre"? And if they meant "diameter" rather than "radius"? So it seems you're OK with a shopper fat bike but not a tourer.

Extra deep rims wont fit into the hanging up hooks, that's what that is on about, should say rim depth not diameter. so Fat bikes and 60mm aero wheel road bikes are out
So, I wish I read this thread even a day earlier. :eek:

I wish I took pictures, but the panic was on me as I tried to wrestle my bike back off the hook on the LNER Edinburgh to London train at Newcastle today.

I arrived nice and early and got myself lined up with carriage K to load the bike, and waited for the train to arrive. I was lucky enough to suss out the numbered hooks, and had loads of time to try and figure out how to hang both mine and Mrs Slicks bikes without causing any damage. A really nice foreign couple came at my back and started to load, which was fine but there isn't a lot of space in there to load both cupboards at the same time. I helped a few other passengers with heavy luggage and then went to my seat with Mrs Slick.

The issue started when that nice couple started unloading at Newcastle, meaning I couldn't get near my bikes until they gathered everything and left, then I'm sure you could see the colour drain from my face as I realised I couldn't get my bike back off the hook.

There was some more panic and drama before I realised I could just let some air out, which did the trick, but you just don't need the drama. :banghead:

It probably says in the T&C's somewhere about the size, but given it took 3 months for someone to claim that nice wine, maybe restrictions like that should be highlighted.

Top Bottom