Birmingham - cycle parking near Brasshouse lang centre, off Broad Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Hi
I'm thinking of taking an evening class at the Brasshouse Language Centre, here :http://brasshouse.birmingham.gov.uk/, and wanted to take the train into New Street with my bike (the bike so that I can complete my journey home afterwards).

They're pretty poor at answering the phone, so I've not been able to ask them this question, but I was hoping someone who knows the area can help. Are there any cycling parking facilities at the Brasshouse, and if not, then what is it like for cycle parking around that area (off Brindleyplace and Broad Street) ? Would I be mad to leave a decent bike locked up there for 2 hours in the early evening?

Failing that, what about leaving it at New Street station? Feasible? and again would I have to be mad?

Thanks for any info

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I normally google street view anywhere im cycling to, to check out locking facilities, seems theres some a rack accross the road, probably for that building's visitors. :smile: http://goo.gl/maps/TmVy0

No idea about the area, but I guess its weighing up bike value against how secure you think the area is with the quality of locks you have. :smile:

Oldspice

There is a carpark at the mail box. They have an area for bicycles and motorbikes (underground car park next to the mail box)

Would not advise leaving your bike on or near Broad street or hagley road. The centre you are going to does have parking in the rear, but i would not trust it.

Booyaa

Veteran
Depends on the bike. You could probably chain it to the railings at the side of the Brasshouse (I always giggle at that name) because there is a lot of foot traffic around there but I suppose that might just make it easier to hide the fact a bike is being stolen. Depends totally on what your risk aversion is.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
There are facilities for parking your bike behind the Brasshouse. Go to the big steel gates to the left of the building (as you look at it), press the buzzer, and tell security that you are a student on a bike, looking to park it.
As you go through the gates, there is one set of Sheffield stands at the end of the covered parking area just by the entrance to the Cafe. There are also further Sheffield stands by the rear entrance, to the left, IIRC.
To escape, use the gates on the other side. Again you will need to use the buzzer and tell security (if asked) that you want to get out.
Alternatively there are some Sheffield stands opposite the front door, but these leave your bike more open to theft or damage.

All The Best. What language?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
There are facilities for parking your bike behind the Brasshouse. Go to the big steel gates to the left of the building (as you look at it), press the buzzer, and tell security that you are a student on a bike, looking to park it.
As you go through the gates, there is one set of Sheffield stands at the end of the covered parking area just by the entrance to the Cafe. There are also further Sheffield stands by the rear entrance, to the left, IIRC.
To escape, use the gates on the other side. Again you will need to use the buzzer and tell security (if asked) that you want to get out.
Alternatively there are some Sheffield stands opposite the front door, but these leave your bike more open to theft or damage.

All The Best. What language?

Thanks BrumJim, that sounds just what I wanted. As for the language, I've not decided yet - maybe join a post-beginners' class in Greek, which I was doing last year in Coventry, or do absolute beginners in Arabic. The decision would be easier if they would ever answer the phone so I could find out more about each class.

BrumJim

Classes are fun (depending on students, of course, but they are generally good company), and always taught by a native speaker. Numbers are reasonable.

Beginner classes are aimed at those who have no previous knowledge of the language. The web site sometimes provides help on deciding which level you are at, but there are enrolment days/weeks when you can talk to a teacher of your chosen language, and then they will determine what level you are at and suggest a suitable class.

In the end if you get it wrong it is easy to get a transfer.

I've done Japanese and German there, and would recommend the place for language learning of any sort. I guess the choice is dependent on what you want to do with it. If you enjoyed Greek, I'd take it further as it is much more rewarding to be able to have conversations in a language (probably 3 years to get there) than to repeat a number of remembered questions on a limited range of subjects.

BrumJim

This page tells you what courses are on that start in January (23 week course). They are all for absolute begineers. Registration is this week, so you will need to get down to the Brasshouse by 8:00 p.m. on Friday.
All other language courses start in September, and the enrolment will happen again the week before courses start, when you can chat to teachers face-to-face.

Top Bottom