Boardman in Utrecht

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I think the man and his message make a lot of sense but a short segment of a Tour de France ITV4 package - that even cycle racing enthusiasts probably didn't flock to watch in the same numbers as usual as it was a rest day programme - isn't exactly getting the message over any further than usual.

I think we really need see this on the mainstream channels or have a proper one hour program that is approached and presented in the same, no nonsense, factually rigourous way, instead of the sensationalist, adding fuel to an imaginary war type that has been shown on BBC1 before.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's great to have a respected British Olympian presenting a feature like that. If I've any criticisms, it's that the UK imagery seems like it's all London (which may be the worst UK place that has noticeable numbers cycling?) and that I fear his point about seeing ordinary people not cyclists may upset the sort of people who take part in CC.

The 6m30 "How the Dutch Got Their Cycle Paths" is arguably more comprehensive, but lacks the London links and I'm sorry but the non-native narration adds to a sense of detachment:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBdf9jYj7o

Recently, I watched a few films by cjhoyle which made me think yes, the Netherlands are good, but they're not THAT far ahead of parts of the UK in terms of infrastructure (or motorist misbehaviour, which he doesn't remark on AFAICR)... which sort of supports a point I've made often, that safer space for cycling is helpful but not sufficient. Mr Boardman may be right that presumed liability is another big help. Anyway, it was this video and his "Bike and Barge" ones:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob-uVs0_eC0

mjr

I think we really need see this on the mainstream channels or have a proper one hour program that is approached and presented in the same, no nonsense, factually rigourous way, instead of the sensationalist, adding fuel to an imaginary war type that has been shown on BBC1 before.
And itv have also done similar shows.

I agree wholeheartedly with http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=916724#p916724 where it says "That 'the cycle show' does not do more for cycling advocacy, and it is left to the TdeF editorial team to include items like this tells you everything that you need to know about what is wrong with 'the cycle show'. I think they should turn over 25% of their show to more direct cycle advocacy, instead of seemingly just pushing cycling as an extreme sport or niche leisure activity."

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Trouble is, a program called 'The Cycle Show' could be 100% cycling advocacy and will still have only cyclists - or people interested in it enough - watching it.
It needs perhaps a 'Truth about...' style program that doesn't wear a leisure activity label already and trot the tired stereotypes out to investigate claims and facts, capture non-cycling eyes and make the brains behind them think.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I liked your link BTW @mjray , not just for the entry you quoted but the man underneath it talking about how a hill climbing cyclist was doing it wrong... Simon Warren!

mjr

I liked your link BTW @mjray , not just for the entry you quoted but the man underneath it talking about how a hill climbing cyclist was doing it wrong... Simon Warren!
Why's that surprising? Even among racers, there's a disagreement whether it's better to stand like Contador and sit-and-spin like Froome... unsurprisingly, you can add some other ways that tourists and transporters get up hills.

I agree that the show titles don't attract newcomers. The more critically-acclaimed "Britain By Bike" wasn't great in that way either, nor is "On Your Bike". Have there been any?

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Why's that surprising?
Ummm.. wasn't surprised..didn't mention surprise...surprise didn't come into it.
I said I liked it, the irony of someone 'knowing' how it was being done 'wrong' when the man in the film has almost made a profession out of climbing hills and writing about it. I didn't state that either party was wrong or right either. Never mind.

Top Bottom