Both of my bikes stolen overnight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Locking bikes up in houses :ohmy:, is it that bad in some places?! I knew stealing expensive cars from homes was a problem but i didn't think about expensive bikes. I always thought out of sight out of mind,but i suppose the thieves would follow the cyclist home, or just see him/her leaving their house on the bike and take note. What'll be next, "bike jacking" where they force the cyclist off the thing and nick it?!

ThinAir

Do more.
Locking bikes up in houses :ohmy:, is it that bad in some places?! I knew stealing expensive cars from homes was a problem but i didn't think about expensive bikes. I always thought out of sight out of mind,but i suppose the thieves would follow the cyclist home, or just see him/her leaving their house on the bike and take note. What'll be next, "bike jacking" where they force the cyclist off the thing and nick it?!

Bike Jacking.... It happens. I've heard a few reports of this. Generally the high value ones. They will stop at nothing...

PK99

Legendary Member
That's ok, I only use Garmin Connect with my 800, why do you ask?

I guess, as there have been reports (anecdotal, afaik) of online recording sites being used to track bikes back to "home" and then targetting for theft. Advice is to keep your routes private or only start recording some way from home.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

I guess, as there have been reports (anecdotal, afaik) of online recording sites being used to track bikes back to "home" and then targetting for theft. Advice is to keep your routes private or only start recording some way from home.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I have all my routes private and only my connections, the 2 guys I ride with see my data but they know where I live.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Thanks guys. Yeah that was the first thing I read and went ahead and did all of what was suggested. Fingers crossed they either get recovered in one piece or I have new toys through the insurance. It's just slightly shocking it happened while I was upstairs asleep, I just need to try forget that and move on.
Be worth upgrading yoir front door locking if they could get in that easily Alex... ideally with three point locking. Are the door and frame both upvc?

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Yeah they're both upvc. I'm going to get the guy that fitted it for me to come check it over when he can but have had an alarm fitted and make sure the door is double locked whenever I'm in the house now as soon as I walk in the house to make it common practice.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
That's ok, I only use Garmin Connect with my 800, why do you ask?

As PK says, showing your routes and home location (along with proud statements about what bike you own) onto the internet is being associated with increased bike thefts in some parts of the country. Garmin connect don't offer a privacy option (as far as I'm aware) so perhaps shift to strava to be sure and then opt for the privacy setting to remove your home location from the map.

I think it was more than anecdotal, there was a police report of some sort published on here a while ago

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

I thought GC did offer privacy but after looking through the profile settings there's nothing I can see even though I was sure it was offered when I registered. I've read similar reports about thieves using tracking sites which is why I don't share any of my rides as too risky personally. Thanks for your replies though :thumbsup:

Top Bottom