Bottom bracket play

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

My Special MTB has some play in the bottom bracket, should I just replace the bearings or should I just purchase a new bottom bracket, I assume they come with bearings fitted. The price of bottom brackets seem fairly cheap, but I would require the tool as well.

gbb

Legendary Member
Modern BBs tend to be cartridge type, or external cups. Tthere are no user serviceable parts or access inside cartridge types. External BB..you can replace bearings but need to press the bearings out, depending on type. Basically its easier to buy a new BB.
Yes, you'd need a tool depending on BB type.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Great thanks. Just by looking at the BB it is not the press fit type, it likes it will require the Park tool. Is it ok to use the same brand as the chain set which is the SRAM GXP or could I use Shimano?

Modern BBs tend to be cartridge type, or external cups. Tthere are no user serviceable parts or access inside cartridge types. External BB..you can replace bearings but need to press the bearings out, depending on type. Basically its easier to buy a new BB.
Yes, you'd need a tool depending on BB type.

gbb

Legendary Member
Great thanks. Just by looking at the BB it is not the press fit type, it likes it will require the Park tool. Is it ok to use the same brand as the chain set which is the SRAM GXP or could I use Shimano?
Im not experienced with MTB compatability etc...I'll let someone else advise. :okay:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Anything that fits should work okay. By fits, I mean along the two parameters involved. First, measure your BB shell, the part left after you take all the hardware out, and then measure the length of the spindle. Both of these measurements should be close to the original component. If all goes well, and no problems crop up. Then you just add the cranks and hope it all lines up perfectly.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
You almost certainly have a cartridge BB unless your bicycles is quite old or very cheap. Shimano UN55 is a cheap cartridge replacement that will give good service. You probably have a 68mm shell - but measure to be sure, and then choose the correct axle length and type (probably square taper)
If you haven't got one already, you will need a crank extractor tool - unless you happen to have self extracting cranks.
Buy the Park Tool if you wish - but there are many perfectly adequate alternatives such as Ice Toolz that are a lot cheaper and will give good service for the average user.

Cubist

Still wavin'
SRAM GXP axles are NOT interchangeable with Shimano Hollowtech 2. no doubt someone will be along to say you can bodge it with a spacer, but my advice is to replace your BB with a GXP.
L

Cubist

Still wavin'
You almost certainly have a cartridge BB unless your bicycles is quite old or very cheap. Shimano UN55 is a cheap cartridge replacement that will give good service. You probably have a 68mm shell - but measure to be sure, and then choose the correct axle length and type (probably square taper)
If you haven't got one already, you will need a crank extractor tool - unless you happen to have self extracting cranks.
Buy the Park Tool if you wish - but there are many perfectly adequate alternatives such as Ice Toolz that are a lot cheaper and will give good service for the average user.
SRAM GXP is an external bearing system, with a 24 mm axle and two piece crank, not compatible with UN55. GXP stands for Giga Ex Pipe or some such nonsense.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
SRAM GXP is an external bearing system, with a 24 mm axle and two piece crank, not compatible with UN55. GXP stands for Giga Ex Pipe or some such nonsense.
Missed that bit in the OP - I stand corrected thanks.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I had a weird clunking noise from my bottom bracket. It turned out that the bolt that held the crank onto the shaft had worked loose and that all it needed was tightening up. It's worth checking that.
SRAM GXP is self extracting. On the non drive side is a 10mm hex aperture, through which you pass an 8mm hex key, into the hex slot of the bolt inside. Turning the hex key anti clockwise undoes the inner crank arm bolt and as you do, the action pulls the crank arm off the axle. Worth checking for play as you say, but in truth GXP BBs are notorious for short bearing life as they are often exposed to water ingress, especially if the owner gets enthusiastic with the dreaded pressure washer.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thanks all. I think you are right Cubist, the GXP is 24mm, the body going from the spec sheet from Specialized says "SRAM GXP BB for 2pc, 73mm shell". And yes I used to get "enthusiastic with the dreaded pressure washer".

I am going to order this one

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-gxp-team-bottom-bracket-cup-set/

Along with this tool

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-external-bottom-bracket-wrench/

How can I check that this BB will fit a 73mm body?
Yep, that BB will fit, and the tool will too. 73mm shells are standard, and yours will be English thread so you know which option to choose. The BB cups may come with a selection of spacers so that it will fit both 68 and 73 shells. Obviously you'll need fewer spacers for a 73.

Remember when removing the current BB cups, that the drive side is reverse thread, so clockwise to loosen.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Hi, wow I'm getting really confused at Wiggle. They are advising that I opt for the Italian 70mm thread... Even though the English should be for 68/73mm

"The Italian threaded option in this bottom bracket will be 73mm, the 70mm mentioned in the 'About Bottom Brackets' section will be general information."

Surely the 70mm is for road bikes??

And this is what they said about the spacers

"These spacers will relate to the chain line of the bottom bracket"

Yep, that BB will fit, and the tool will too. 73mm shells are standard, and yours will be English thread so you know which option to choose. The BB cups may come with a selection of spacers so that it will fit both 68 and 73 shells. Obviously you'll need fewer spacers for a 73.

Remember when removing the current BB cups, that the drive side is reverse thread, so clockwise to loosen.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hi, wow I'm getting really confused at Wiggle. They are advising that I opt for the Italian 70mm thread... Even though the English should be for 68/73mm

"The Italian threaded option in this bottom bracket will be 73mm, the 70mm mentioned in the 'About Bottom Brackets' section will be general information."

Surely the 70mm is for road bikes??

And this is what they said about the spacers

"These spacers will relate to the chain line of the bottom bracket"
Ignore whomever told you this. A 73 mm Specialized MTB shell will be English threaded. You need the version that fits 68/73.

As for spacers, well, I stand corrected, you don't need them. (On a Hollowtech 2 system you can add or remove spacers or BB mounted accessories and need spacers to ensure the width is the same.) Presumably with Truvativ/SRAM the axle width determines the fit.

Have a look here for a round up of external bearing info.
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...ype-campagnolo-ultra-torque#article-section-5

Top Bottom