Boxing......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I like watching boxing but maybe I'm getting too old for this, I don't like the persons behind the boxers.

Mohamed Ali is my favourite of all times but there have been others favourites such as Bruno, Sugar R. L, Lenox Lewis, etc.

I hated Chris Eubank and now his son is made of the same stuff.

Joshua seemed like a good guy to me until I heard an interview after the fight yesterday. He said "He took a lot punishment, I like punishing people.... " well, it's a sport so I guess it would be quite sufficient to win the fight and avoid suffering punishment as much as possible. No need to hurt anybody more than it's necessary, I would have thought. Am I turning into a softy in old age? ^_^

Last edited:
if they want to slug it out, let them decide by playing chess: with the gloves most definitely on.

No, I don't like boxing. Crude and thuggish, IMO.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I like watching boxing but maybe I'm getting too old for this, I don't like the persons behind the boxers.

Mohamed Ali is my favourite of all times but there have been others favourites such as Bruno, Sugar R. L, Lenox Lewis, etc.

I hated Chris Eubank and now his son is made of the same stuff.

Joshua seemed like a good guy to me until I heard an interview after the fight yesterday. He said "He took a lot punishment, I like punishing people.... " well, it's a sport so I guess it would be quite sufficient to win the fight and avoid suffering punishment as much as possible. No need to hurt anybody more than it's necessary, I would have thought. Am I turning into a softie in old age? ^_^

You can't like boxing and hate the violent intents of the participants.

Boxers don't enter the ring to cuddle their opponents.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
If you don't like violence boxing is not for you. The very nature of the "sport" is based upon violence, two men beating the crap out of each other to score points or until one of them is knocked out. There have been some great names in the past but the sportmanship seems to have gone astray somewhere along the way,

Levo-Lon

Guru
Money and Sky have ruined boxing,i used to love it but ive not watched a fight live for yonks.
the training and respect side for the young must still be a good thing, but the Fury types and the silly pre fight antics are pointless and not sporting..

Crandoggler

People seem to hate the very essence of the sport. It's like telling me you dislike the glamour of F1 and hate the fact that they sometimes crash and get hurt. It's the 2 binding factors of boxing which will never change.

As a student Inwas involved in research that showed brain damage in boxers after even a few fights

Compared to the control population, boxers had marked decrease in blood supply to parts of the brain

U

User482

It's perhaps unique in mainstream sport in that the purpose of the contest is to physically attack your opponent to the point of them losing consciousness. But if we're going to look at outcomes - i.e the number of people seriously hurt - then it's difficult to make a case for banning it without looking at other sports such as rugby.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's perhaps unique in mainstream sport in that the purpose of the contest is to physically attack your opponent to the point of them losing consciousness. But if we're going to look at outcomes - i.e the number of people seriously hurt - then it's difficult to make a case for banning it without looking at other sports such as rugby.
That probably depends on how you define "seriously hurt". My understanding is that rugby and other contact sports result in a lot of acute injuries, but boxing results in even more chronic injuries, that often take years to emerge (see @Cunobelin's post above).

And boxing isn't quite unique (though I can already hear you picking up that word "mainstream"). My nephew (surprisingly - I thought he was a bit of a softy) posted a video to Facebook of some "mixed martial arts" fight involving a knockout inside 20 seconds.

U

User482

That probably depends on how you define "seriously hurt". My understanding is that rugby and other contact sports result in a lot of acute injuries, but boxing results in even more chronic injuries, that often take years to emerge (see @Cunobelin's post above).

And boxing isn't quite unique (though I can already hear you picking up that word "mainstream"). My nephew (surprisingly - I thought he was a bit of a softy) posted a video to Facebook of some "mixed martial arts" fight involving a knockout inside 20 seconds.

Yes, I used "mainstream" for that reason. I don't necessarily disagree, and am ambivalent about boxing, but would note that people die participating in other contact sports, including a tragic case very recently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-35040216. We also know that - for example - football can result in brain damage.

I should state for the record that I used to do kickboxing.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The lighter weights are good to watch as they are more about the sport and dont tire out as quick .

Top Bottom