Boxing......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
If you don't like violence boxing is not for you. The very nature of the "sport" is based upon violence, two men beating the crap out of each other to score points or until one of them is knocked out. There have been some great names in the past but the sportmanship seems to have gone astray somewhere along the way,

I don't object to two athletes slugging it out inside the ring and with a referee. .. to me that is the nature of the sport.

What is said previous to the fight is to attract attention to the event and Mohamed Ali was a master at that.

I just dislike people that have nasty views after the event. Imagine any rugby or football playing "yeah, I like kicking people or I like breaking people's legs"

Maybe sportmanship it's just a thing of the past and that is what I miss.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yes, I used "mainstream" for that reason. I don't necessarily disagree, and am ambivalent about boxing, but would note that people die participating in other contact sports, including a tragic case very recently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-35040216. We also know that - for example - football can result in brain damage.

I should state for the record that I used to do kickboxing.
I suspect that to a Thai, kickboxing is just as mainstream as boxing is to a Brit.

I like watching boxing but maybe I'm getting too old for this, I don't like the persons behind the boxers.

Mohamed Ali is my favourite of all times but there have been others favourites such as Bruno, Sugar R. L, Lenox Lewis, etc.

I hated Chris Eubank and now his son is made of the same stuff.

Joshua seemed like a good guy to me until I heard an interview after the fight yesterday. He said "He took a lot punishment, I like punishing people.... " well, it's a sport so I guess it would be quite sufficient to win the fight and avoid suffering punishment as much as possible. No need to hurt anybody more than it's necessary, I would have thought. Am I turning into a softy in old age? ^_^

I really do not watch very much sport at all but will try to catch a boxing match if it is on. It was one of the few sports I watched in the Olympics.

Oddly I think it was Ali that ramped up the out of ring "trash talk" to a new level. I think out of the ring they are looking for headlines and will lay it too much. But in the ring, I think mostly boxers conduct themselves in a very sporting way (with the odd exception like Mike Tyson). The refereeing is also good with interventions at the right stage.

Yes it does have risk, but then so does motorsport and dozens of other activities including cycling.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Money has been central to professional boxing for a lot longer than pay per view has existed.

Professional boxing only exists to make money. Always has, always will

i know,i just wont pay to view..we used to watch big fights free..if there is such a thing..but tv licence is law, pay per view is optional..i dont watch hardly any sport now as i wont pay extra..sod em

stephec

Legendary Member
Has anyone just watched David Haye?

It was obvious he was going to be set up with an easy no risk return fight, but that was a joke.

I'm not surprised even Channel 5 wouldn't touch it.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Mohamed Ali is my favourite of all time
You say Ali is your favourite but hated Eubank and also his son.
Ali was an entertainer, charismatic and a show off, and its these qualities which made him the best in the game during that period. The likes of Eubank and Nigel Benn in the 90's were made of the same stuff I'm afraid.(one of boxing's greatest eras). They were show offs and liked to pose etc. Eubank Jr is an absolute animal in the ring and has awesome boxing skills. Combine that with his eccentric ways and it makes him even more compelling to watch......another entertainer. Boxers do not go in the ring you tickle each other so to my mind, yes you probably are getting too soft and boxings not for you anymore.
Watched the Haye comeback fight tonight and he looked sharp, all be it against mediocre opposition. Should bring some more life to the heavyweight division.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
it was terrible, if you're going to fix a fight then at least get someone who can act the part, piss poor display....
The chap with the pony tail just stood still against the ropes, waiting to be hit, but you wouldnt do that voluntarily, he was just way out of his league. He was hurt badly when he went down.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Anyone else here ever boxed themselves?
Yes, at school when I was ten. I had a fight in a competition against a kid from other school and he nearly knocked me out with one solid punch on the jaw...vision closing in, jelly knees stuff. It wasn't very pleasant but sh*t happened back then. BTW, we all used to listen to the classic 60's boxing matches on our illicit transistor radios and were utterly enthralled.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
David Haye looked fit and sharp when he got into the ring, it was obvious from the start that his opponent was an underdog just getting into the ring to be knocked out and earn a few quid along the way. Haye must have known from the outset that it was going to be a push over, he should have hung his head in shame instead of celebrating in the ring like he did.
In my eyes, boxing is not the sport it used to be.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I like watching boxing but maybe I'm getting too old for this, I don't like the persons behind the boxers.

Mohamed Ali is my favourite of all times but there have been others favourites such as Bruno, Sugar R. L, Lenox Lewis, etc.

Joshua seemed like a good guy to me until I heard an interview after the fight yesterday. He said "He took a lot punishment, I like punishing people.... " well, it's a sport so I guess it would be quite sufficient to win the fight and avoid suffering punishment as much as possible. No need to hurt anybody more than it's necessary, I would have thought. Am I turning into a softy in old age? ^_^
No, you are just becoming more sensible and realised that boxing is a very violent sport. My father was a boxer and very good at it but when one of my brothers wanted to go into boxing, he discouraged him and made him aware of all the risks involved. He took up running instead ( my brother that is).

Top Bottom