Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whether it is good or bad, no one will be able to use, all the bloody ignorant taxi drivers will park all over it, just like they do on everything else

surely it's good that people get some use from it for parking, as it's fark-all use as a cycle path

Last edited by a moderator:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have yet to see a well thought out cycle lane in this country, segregated or not. I cannot think of the last time I actually used one as in my experience none of them are fit for purpose. I spent a year living in the Netherlands so I know useable design. Seeing as the powers that be have absolutely no idea, I wish they would stop trying until they can work out a real solution. Half-arsed solutions in my opinion are worse than no solution, it just antagonises driver, cyclists and pedestrians. If there were no cycle paths then at least everyone would be aware of that fact and drive/ride/walk accordingly, probably far safer than the current situation.

howard2107

surely it's good that people get some use from it for parking, as it's fark-all use as a cycle path

The standard of driving is atrocious, the highway code has no relevance, and road markings are there just to break up the monotony of the black tarmac, park what you want where you want drive how you want, using your mobile phone is mandatory, and speed limits! what the hell are they for? its like driving through a third world country. The cycle lane maybe pants, but it is far safer than the 3 lane death race at the side of it. Its no wonder that BD postcodes make up about 6 of the top ten highest motor insurance risks in the country, with BD3 having the highest population of uninsured drivers in the country to boot.

Cheers...........Howard

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Work continues on this scheme alongside the A64 in Leeds, albeit at a glacial pace.
I've noticed that on the uphill drag heading out of Leeds, the cycle super highway only looks wide enough for one bike. Given the length of this ascent this seems like a serious design flaw given the obvious variation of speeds that will be achieved by different cyclists.
It has to be said that the quality of work doesn't look brilliant either.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sorry, no pics. However the standard of work and (in places) the layout looks like a lot is going to be left to be desired..
The cycle lane seems to wander around a lot, in some places looks only wide enough for a single bike and the standard of things like dropped kerbs and surface changes seems very variable.
It also the route is being installed on either side of the A64 dual carriageway and it seems that there is an assumption that users of the cycle route will stick to matching the direction of traffic on that side - there doesn't appear to be room in most places for bikes to pass each other which could be fun.
Oh, and the completed section outside the shops on Barwick Rd is already being blocked by cars parking on it...

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry, no pics. However the standard of work and (in places) the layout looks like a lot is going to be left to be desired..
The cycle lane seems to wander around a lot, in some places looks only wide enough for a single bike and the standard of things like dropped kerbs and surface changes seems very variable.
It also the route is being installed on either side of the A64 dual carriageway and it seems that there is an assumption that users of the cycle route will stick to matching the direction of traffic on that side - there doesn't appear to be room in most places for bikes to pass each other which could be fun.
Oh, and the completed section outside the shops on Barwick Rd is already being blocked by cars parking on it...
Already reported to the council

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Have you heard anything back, or seen any signs of action?
I only ask as the council are usually very slow to act - I've reported that the on demand traffic lights on Coal Rd aren't picking up approaching cyclists (meaning you have to sit at a red light like a lemon until a car arrives, or get off and push the bike round the lights on the path... :whistle: ) 3 times now and its still not sorted.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you heard anything back, or seen any signs of action?
I only ask as the council are usually very slow to act - I've reported that the on demand traffic lights on Coal Rd aren't picking up approaching cyclists (meaning you have to sit at a red light like a lemon until a car arrives, or get off and push the bike round the lights on the path... :whistle: ) 3 times now and its still not sorted.
Nowt yet, but as it also involves private hire vehicles using it, I'm not expecting anything soon.
On four weeks and counting. Contractors had similar problems with vehicles parking on the pavement.

The no parking TROs will not go into force until about 2 weeks before the route is "officially opened". Cue dozens and dozens of complaints from aggrieved residents grown used to the £19million extension to their driveways. :sad:

I've reported that the on demand traffic lights on Coal Rd aren't picking up approaching cyclists ... 3 times now and its still not sorted.
Leeds City Council do not EVER respond to such trivia ... in my experience. There's two similar on York Road - multiple reports, no action .... over 5 years!

classic33

Leg End Member
The no parking TROs will not go into force until about 2 weeks before the route is "officially opened". Cue dozens and dozens of complaints from aggrieved residents grown used to the £19million extension to their driveways. :sad:

Leeds City Council do not EVER respond to such trivia ... in my experience. There's two similar on York Road - multiple reports, no action .... over 5 years!
But the illegal pavement parking has also been reported by the contractors.
Waiting to hear what happens with regards the private hire licence.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've reported the cycle path parking as well - had to use the generic 'contact us' form on the website as there doesn't appear to be anyway of reporting it directly.

If i hear nothing back within a few days I'll email the local councilor who does seem to respond pretty well to requests for help...

Top Bottom