Brake and gear cables - a different approach..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Getting the rolled up inner cable into my small diameter crock pot might prove impossible.

Yeah, I can appreciate how that might not be fun.. I got away with it in my pan, which is maybe 6" diameter. Worth giving it a go; if only for the rush of knowing that if you're not careful it could rapidly unfurl and launch molten wax into your eyes :okay:

Another alternative would be to pass it through the wax in sections.. if you do it fairly quickly the cable doesn't heat up so much so you get a thicker layer on top - probably preferable in the name of getting more inside the outer; assuming you've already fitted appropriate hardware (ferrules etc) so it doesn't shave all the wax off when put on..

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Shimano gear cable sets come with pre-injected grease (or at least used to), and if you actually read the instruction sheet, you were told to put on the outer with the end with the Shimano logo on at the shifter end.
That was because that was the end with the grease in, so threading in the cable spread the grease along the length of the outer, rather than just pushing it out

Top Bottom