Brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

festival

Über Member
Sintered "Metalic" pads are now most common, usually cooper swarf in the resin base which improves wear but can be noisier.
Advisable in the conditions likely in the UK.

Soft resin "Organic" pads give better friction in certain conditions, wear in quicker but wear very much quicker in wet and gritty conditions.

Sintered "Metalic" pads are now most common, usually cooper swarf in the resin base which improves wear but can be noisier.
Advisable in the conditions likely in the UK.

Soft resin "Organic" pads give better friction in certain conditions, wear in quicker but wear very much quicker in wet and gritty conditions.
However, some discs are not compatible with metal pads. They will say Resin Pads Only on the disc somewhere.

puffinbilly

Veteran
I would be careful - I made the mistake of buying the wrong pads - mine needed the pins through the front of the sinter as in your second link. What bike are you buying for and do you know the disc brake model?

PS If you need some pads that are as per your first link - I have some that you can have for a knock down price.:okay:

puffinbilly

Veteran
You'll need the pads in the second link in your OP - the difference being the split in the pad to allow the metal pin to sit in. Don't take my word for it - but if you check your bike you'll find that the pads are kept in place by a small metal clip that sits within the pad.

So unfortunately you don't need my pads at the knock down price.:cry:

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
However, some discs are not compatible with metal pads. They will say Resin Pads Only on the disc somewhere.
Nothing written on my discs only the make and disc size so i guess they are compatible with any type.? :unsure:

Nothing written on my discs only the make and disc size so i guess they are compatible with any type.? :unsure:
No, don't assume. See if you can find anything on the Internet. Although both types are made from stainless steel, they are made from different steels. The one type will quickly wear down when used with metal pads and, will not perform well. The study of friction and lubrication is tribology and is very poorly understood by the mechanical trade. They make mistakes all the time with incompatible pads/discs and customers have to put up with the problems, including noise, contamination, jerky braking, short pad life, etc.

Which is why I said "most common"
I think you will find resin pads to be the most common. This is easy to assume without even counting bikes and pads. Because metallic pads and compatible discs are more expensive than resin pads/discs, you'll find the latter on more bikes, therefore resin pads will be most common. I contradicted you for good reason, since a wrong assumption creates a poor user experience.

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Found this bit of info

Semi Metallic Compound - medium hard compound which offers excellent braking performance combined with very quiet braking in wet and dry conditions. They are very rotor friendly with excellent heat dissipation and very good long lasting performance.

Sintered Compound - very hard compound offers powerful braking performance and excellent lifespan which makes it the best value for money. Sintered pads are ideal for downhill riding as they can withstand extreme punishment due to wide operation temperature and very high friction.

Found this bit of info

Semi Metallic Compound - medium hard compound which offers excellent braking performance combined with very quiet braking in wet and dry conditions. They are very rotor friendly with excellent heat dissipation and very good long lasting performance.

Sintered Compound - very hard compound offers powerful braking performance and excellent lifespan which makes it the best value for money. Sintered pads are ideal for downhill riding as they can withstand extreme punishment due to wide operation temperature and very high friction.

That tells me absolutely Zero.

It sounds like marketing brochure text.

festival

Über Member
Ohh well never mind you are obviously reading it differently to me. :popcorn:

Made sense to me too, but then I have only worked in the cycle trade for 30 years so what do I know!

To get back to the point if you haven't already taken the plunge......
The tektro Novela is a basic brake and for general 'fun' riding IMO the sintered or semi metallic would be fine.
With respect, the bike is an entry level ATB and recognizing the use its designed for (not serious offroad) I would say try all types and see what you learn in different conditions, its not going to brake the bank.
Find a good independent bike shop and ask them for advice.

Top Bottom