Break upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skizxi

Regular
I'm using tektro brakes at the mo which I find terrible.

Looking to upgrade to ultegra. My levers are 105 5700. Will I need the ultegra 6700?

Citius

No - the 105 will work fine with any caliper brake. Consider changing the pads first though - much cheaper and probably the reason for the poor performance.

bpsmith

Veteran
I upgraded Tektro to 105 callipers on my Winter Defy 1. Night and day difference in performance.

Just to satisfy the suggestions usually raised here, I swapped the Tektro pads into the 105 callipers to check this swap the lads first attitude.

Basically, the 105 callipers and pads are worlds apart from the Tektro. 105 callipers with Tektro pads are not as good as the 105 full setup, but are still way better than the full Tektro setup.

On that basis, simply swapping pads only and retaining the Tektro callipers, does not compare in the slightest to 105 callipers and pads.

The real question is, just how much more braking do you need. If you are tackling fast speeds and/or some seeios descents, then calliper and pad upgrade is definitely the way to go. If you just want a slight braking improvement, then consider pads only.

The main assumption being that you have the same model of Tektro presently. They do actually make some decent callipers, further up the range.

bpsmith

Veteran
Thanks. I'm hitting over 50 mph on serious descents and what to go shimmano.
Then it's down to preference and price between 105 and Ultegra. They will have a more similar braking level, but the materials and finish will differ. Generally, the Ultegra uses a better quality material and the finish is usually anodised vs painted on the 105 group set. If the price is close, then go Ultegra if the colour scheme suits.

OP
OP
S

skizxi

Regular
Thanks. After more research I need a long reach Shimano R650. They are more than the £50 I wanted to spend and they only do them in silver. Ideally I need gray or black. Any other suggestions please?

Citius

Thanks. After more research I need a long reach Shimano R650. They are more than the £50 I wanted to spend and they only do them in silver. Ideally I need gray or black. Any other suggestions please?

Like I said - just change the pads. The pads will be the problem - not the calipers.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would agree pads make the biggest difference. The mechanical difference of different callipers is at best minimal unless they are a totally difierent design allowing vastly more leverage. The compound used in the blocks though can make a big difference. I have had Tektro, Shimano, Sram and am currently running some cnc machined calipers with titanium finishing kit. They are the lightest (200g the pair) and blingiest I have owned, but with different blocks on they all stop me in about the same distance. That includes on some serious hills in the Pennines. So to improve stopping power get some decent pads, Swisstop or similar (not cheap but the best I have found). If you want lighter or fancier then there are quite a few options around and you don't have to stick to Shimano, there are plenty of options about for decent callipers and they will work fine with 105 shifters.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
No - the 105 will work fine with any caliper brake. Consider changing the pads first though - much cheaper and probably the reason for the poor performance.

That's not quite right, Dura Ace 7900 would not be compatible, I'm guessing the Dura Ace 9000 would not be either.

An educated guess is that changing pads on Tektro calipers making little difference to the braking power. I've seen a few Tektro brakes, including disc brakes and they have all been poor.

Shimano and Campy have always been good in my experience and I know of others too.

Citius

That's not quite right, Dura Ace 7900 would not be compatible, I'm guessing the Dura Ace 9000 would not be either.

An educated guess is that changing pads on Tektro calipers making little difference to the braking power. I've seen a few Tektro brakes, including disc brakes and they have all been poor.

Shimano and Campy have always been good in my experience and I know of others too.

If it is a cable operated caliper, it will operate with a cable operated lever. The pull ratios might be different, but it's not going to 'not work'. As Hacienda said above, there is little practical difference in performance between caliper types. Most of the differences relate to material and or weight savings. My own Tektro calipers were transformed by fitting some half-decent pads - which made them every bit as good as any other caliper brake I used.

Tim Hall

<anecdata> When I refurbished by Mercian, I fitted new! shiny! 105 shifters. The old 105 calipers stayed on. I found braking from the hoods really poor. Then I realised (back pain was a major clue) that the bars were rotated too far forward, so I couldn't squeeze the lever properly. 15 seconds with an allen key and the braking was way better. And my back was happy too.

OP, have you checked the position of your levers wrt stretch/hand position?

OP
OP
S

skizxi

Regular
I have a cannondale synapse 2012 . Apparently I need long reach shimano R650. Chepeast Ive found then is £70. Can anyone suggest anything else that will fit. Thanks

Citius

I have a cannondale synapse 2012 . Apparently I need long reach shimano R650. Chepeast Ive found then is £70. Can anyone suggest anything else that will fit. Thanks

So you don't want to go for the pad option first then?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
If it is a cable operated caliper, it will operate with a cable operated lever. The pull ratios might be different, but it's not going to 'not work'. As Hacienda said above, there is little practical difference in performance between caliper types. Most of the differences relate to material and or weight savings. My own Tektro calipers were transformed by fitting some half-decent pads - which made them every bit as good as any other caliper brake I used.

It seems that you have been drinking the same stuff that yellowsaddle drinks :smile: you know all the answers.
I suggest you first read Dura Ace 7900 specs. I'm not one that takes these guidelines too seriously but in this case I know from experience. It's the pull ratio that is different but the difference makes a brilliant set of brakes into very poor set of brakes if not combined with 7900 levers. So much that Shimano went back on its design for the 9000 series.

The difference on calipers is not just materials and weight, maybe that is the case for same manufacturer, ie 105 and ultegra. Design is also an important difference between manufacturers. I've seen enough Tektro brakes to know they aren't at the same level as Shimano brakes. The other component that comes to mind that the difference is not just weight and material is QR Skewers where Shimano make the best skewers I know. I'm sure you will disagree with that too ;)

Top Bottom