British Gas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

My mother had a BG HomeCare. The boiler was ancient they were out regularly although not that quick even though she was down as a ? can't think of the word something like at risk because she is in her 70s. The last man out just said "look they may refuse to allowe you to reinsure with the Homecare plan in future, can you get your son (who lived with her)to stand on a chair and press the button on the top, that will restart the boiler". They must have been out a dozen times, played round with the boiler and then just pressed the button on the top. That's all that ever needed doing. A bit dozy in my opinion.
PS never condemned the boiler as far as I know.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Forget the organisation...its the individual people within it. Get a good one, alls well, get a bad one, the organisation is suddenly cr@p
There's something in that, but it's part of the story at most. The fuller story is that while the service you get on any given occasion depends on the guy who turns up, the organisation as a whole has serious form for profit-maximising at the expense of its customers, by encouraging them to buy things they don't really need at grotesquely over-inflated prices. And it is of course the elderly/less confident customers who are most vulnerable to this kind of pressure.

gbb

Legendary Member
There's something in that, but it's part of the story at most. The fuller story is that while the service you get on any given occasion depends on the guy who turns up, the organisation as a whole has serious form for profit-maximising at the expense of its customers, by encouraging them to buy things they don't really need at grotesquely over-inflated prices. And it is of course the elderly/less confident customers who are most vulnerable to this kind of pressure.
There certainly is an element of the 'hard sell' with them, that i have gathered.

classic33

Leg End Member
I stick with a small local company for servicing the gas appliances.
They'll even show you the receipt for the parts if asked.
I know where most of the spares are bought so its easy check.

One company quoted £160 plus VAT for a £40 piece, bought from the same place.

Top Bottom