Broadband router

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Well the homehub 5 is on its way so I expect to be back on here at the weekend asking for advice on setting it up, thats if I can get on here of course!
Thanks for the advice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, my router got to 2 days without dropping the connection and I was about to come on here to tell you all the good news, but before I could ...

... it dropped the connection! :okay:

It might just be a coincidence, but I think it was almost exactly 48 hours from when I last rebooted the router to when it dropped the connection this time. Let's see if it survives another 48 hours this time!

SD1

OT

I remember coming home one night with no Internet

Tried using the phone without success so Rang BT on the mobile to see if there are any faults

They reported that the line was fine and could not see a fault

Watching the local news it transpired that someone has stolen about 500 m of BT cable

I informed them of this at which point I was told that if there was no line it could not report a fault

Two weeks later we are back online having been rewired to the wrong number twice
Worst of all was being told that we had responsibility for any calls made on our number even though due to their fault someone else was using it!
That is right out of order. Of course what they are saying is bollocks but what they assume is you won't fight and will just give in. This is why I stay right away from them.

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Got the BT router plugged in last night and after finding out where to change the account details it came up without any drama. Seems to be running ok now, speed is about the same as before just need to start having a look at the wireless coverage and stability of it now. Thanks for the advice on here.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've just gone BT Infinity Fibre Broadband. New router to install tonight.
One less wallwart. One less box with glowing LEDS in my bedroom. 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. And faster broadband than I've ever seen before at home. Annoying to have to go round and reconnect every wireless device in the house to the new SSID with the new password. But.

Result.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
One less wallwart. One less box with glowing LEDS in my bedroom. 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. And faster broadband than I've ever seen before at home. Annoying to have to go round and reconnect every wireless device in the house to the new SSID with the new password. But.

Result.

I did tell you it would eventually happen :smile:.

marinyork

Got the BT router plugged in last night and after finding out where to change the account details it came up without any drama. Seems to be running ok now, speed is about the same as before just need to start having a look at the wireless coverage and stability of it now. Thanks for the advice on here.

Do you know what you're doing analysing the wifi, are you happy doing it on your laptop or tablet or installing something like wifi analyser a free app on Android and walking around the house to see what it says? I've seen a post on here elsewhere on this thread where I think there are pretty serious issues on their wi-fi and it would benefit from this.

marinyork

was going to download something onto the laptop to check the coverage. Not sure what yet as I havent looked around, any suggestions?

All sorts of fancy ones you can get for windows.

I prefer using my smartphone and wifi analyser as it's more portable and reflects (no pun intended) that wi-fi isn't time-independent.

I'd try and use your devices on 5GHz if you can.

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Seem to have slightly better coverage. Had some problems with internet access from my desktop at the far end ouf the house. It was wierd because I could access things like Facebook and internet banking, but not BBC or cyclechat, yet the laptop was fine in the lounge. Eventually traced it to the plug in range extended I was using down there. Configured that to run with a different name to the router and all is well again!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Result.
Could you not merely have amended the network name and password on the Home Hub?

Top Bottom