Brompton x Palace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll never be as old as me @a.twiddler , but I'm not a Brompton owner.

mitchibob

Über Member
When I saw 'Palace' in the headline I thought it was THE Palace. Now that would be a suitable pull. A Duchy themed Brompton would attract many, if only Charles would agree :smile:

Something about 'Palace' in the cycling kit contexts it's been involved with reminded me of time spent in Crystal Palace Park, going to BMX track, with detour to watch the skate boarders doing crazy stuff on the half-pipe under the bridge near the sports centre, near the RC-car race-track. Happy days, when GLC putting on summer events in the park for kids.

Although, those skaters boards and kit were way pricier than the plywood plank with some roller-skate bits screwed in that I used to call a skate-board in the valleys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Last edited:

Fastpedaller

I hate that paint job, it looks 5h!t.

As per my earlier note......... Brompton could make some good revenue by offering custom paint jobs! What better than a paint job of your own choice - Yes, it's an 'assembly line stopper' but if it takes off I could envisage £500 extra per bike for a custom paint job with the customer's name added (if they wished). Once established, a small 'side area' spray booth where the custom ones are done with an 'artisan sprayer' doing some great work. I'll have to consult with Will Double-barrel :becool:

tinywheels

Über Member
As per my earlier note......... Brompton could make some good revenue by offering custom paint jobs! What better than a paint job of your own choice - Yes, it's an 'assembly line stopper' but if it takes off I could envisage £500 extra per bike for a custom paint job with the customer's name added (if they wished). Once established, a small 'side area' spray booth where the custom ones are done with an 'artisan sprayer' doing some great work. I'll have to consult with Will Double-barrel :becool:

I remember writing in with some suggestions re gearing.
Basically told me that they know best.
Fast track 5 years on and they seem to have caught up with what their customers want.
I'd pay for a custom paint job and I suspect others would to.
However it's probably not on Wills radar. Shame,as BMW merc et al do nice buisness out of flogging extras.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I remember writing in with some suggestions re gearing.
Basically told me that they know best.
Fast track 5 years on and they seem to have caught up with what their customers want.
I'd pay for a custom paint job and I suspect others would to.
However it's probably not on Wills radar. Shame,as BMW merc et al do nice buisness out of flogging extras.

I seem to remember a documentary where various production line employees were shown being trained. There was also a bit of a discussion with some employees, who said that they kept friendly with the people on the paint line as they would do custom jobs as a favour.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I seem to remember a documentary where various production line employees were shown being trained. There was also a bit of a discussion with some employees, who said that they kept friendly with the people on the paint line as they would do custom jobs as a favour.

I didn't think there was a 'paint' line.

Until recently, weren't they all powder coated?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I didn't think there was a 'paint' line.

Until recently, weren't they all powder coated?
There was certainly a " paint shop " area, and ( unofficial) paint jobs were done as a favour between work colleagues. A place where I worked did control panels for Navy Ships and the lads in the paint shop were happy to spray coat and bake stuff such as greenhouse frames etc. I could have had the BSO I was riding at the time sprayed, but Admiralty Grey wasn't appealing 😄.
Might have been on the beeb and if so iPlayer might still have it.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I think i've watched the programme - was it Greg Wallace presenting?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it made me laugh as they were talking about how 'strong' the wheels were in the same week my first rear wheel failed.

(Edited to change Greg Davies to Greg Wallace.)

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think i've watched the programme - was it Greg Davies presenting?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it made me laugh as they were talking about how 'strong' the wheels were in the same week my first rear wheel failed.

I'm not sure. I think there has been more than one documentary made. The one referencing the staff custom paint job interviewed various employees and a girl being trained up to braze, who became very proficient.

Top Bottom