Buckled wheel again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
I not sure why always seems to be my luck with btwin wheels.
As always I purchased a hybrid bike from Decathlon.
Had it three months as always (its happend three time now) I had a loose spoke with broke.

The wheel had already started to buckle a few days before.
I took it back got the spoke repaired. No problem.

Had a puncture over the weekend put the wheel back on now seems to not be running true.
Am I doing something wrong amazing as it may sound I can change gear cables, breaks etc but suck with Wheels.

festival

Über Member
Quality of bike & its components, what you are asking it to do and riding style are just some of the thoughts i would have if you were asking me.

You suggest you knew you had a buckle sometime before and continued to ride.
You seemed to think the loose spoke was the problem rather than having buckled the wheel first which created the loose spoke which then was a break waiting to happen?

Wheels can be a bit of a mystery but usually its due to bad luck or bad riding style/asking too much of cheap wheels.

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
riding style south london pot holes. Spoke went after wheel was buckled. Which was repaired straight away, would not the wheel have been trued then?
Which was less than two weeks ago.

riding style south london pot holes. Spoke went after wheel was buckled. Which was repaired straight away, would not the wheel have been trued then?
Which was less than two weeks ago.
Riding style and potholes do not affect a well-built wheels. The spoke would have broken first and then the wheel buckled, not the other way round.
See if you can find an expert wheelbuilder somewhere and get them to fix up the wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
wheel buckled first then spoke snapped took to the shop again fixed spoke wheel was fine then two weeks later was buckled again.
Sorry but I have tight budget and dont have the luxury of hand built wheels.
Can any one suggest could alternative to hand builts.

Crandoggler

Had the same problem with B'twin wheels. Forever had to tighten spokes, nearly every ride in fact. Campagnolo wheels haven't missed a beat, and done over twice the mileage of the B'twins.

Good wheel are true, with spokes evenly tightened to the correct tension.
Cheap wheels often start with rims that are not dead flat, so they are built with uneven tension to be true.
With any new wheel, you should ping the spokes to detect low or high tension, and try and even them out. If the wheel does go out of true, you have to find a compromise.
Building a wheel with quality components is easier than playing whack-a-mole with uneven components.

I had my LBS build a commuter wheel out of low/midrange components. He selected a flat rim and built a bombproof wheel that wasn't too expensive.

Crandoggler

I weigh over 110kg and use Khamsin wheels. They are exceptionally good for the very low price.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Buy a download copy of Roger Musson's book Professional guide to wheel building and learn how to look after them yourself.
Agreed, it's a very worthwhile way to spend a few quid. But if this is the third time this has happened, did you not learn anything from the first two times? I'd be taking my custom elsewhere.

Top Bottom