Budget disc braked commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm tempted to get a disc brake road bike for wet weather commuting and as a general run around to replace my Triban 3 (and possibly my Kona Jake CX). It needs to have a gearset above Claris, take full mudguards which will be permanently fitted, run 28mm or 25mm tyres, be reasonably light. and not be garishly coloured. Budget is £600 max. I don't want a hybrid as I've just sold a Boardman Comp that wasn't being used.

So far I'm tempted by the Charge Plug 3 from Wiggle at £550ish or the Boardman CX Comp from Halfords at £490 with 10% current discount & 10% extra with British Cycling.

The Plug is my first choice as seems to fit my needs best and I like the understated graphics and plain red colour The Boardman is slightly lighter and has cross top levers but I'm not sure what it would look like sizing down from the fitted 37mm to 28mm or narrower tyres (or if the wheels would allow it) and the current decals seem a bit OTT.

What else is available?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why cant the other 2 be ridden in the rain?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
They can be ridden, they just can't be stopped :smile: Hence why I'm looking at disc brakes and whether it's worth while.
i'm with you on that one - i went with the cannondale synapse 105 disc, but its a little above your budget

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
i'm with you on that one - i went with the cannondale synapse 105 disc, but its a little above your budget

Saw that on Evans website while looking round earlier in the week - if I had the budget it would have been my choice as well

Look at the Whyte range :smile:

Mostly way out of my current budget BUT Broadribb Cycles have a Sussex Disc 2014 (Sora equipped) in my size for £590 which is very tempting.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm with Drago. Sorting out your brakes is way cheaper than buying another bike. It could be as simple as changing your brake blocks. Try Koolstop pads.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm a big fat heavy old lard-O and have zero problems stopping in the rain with rim brakes. Might it not be easier and cheaper to just sort your brakes out?
It's not always how the brakes are set-up, mine stop me perfectly well on flat roads and minor descents. But here in the Welsh valleys we have some pretty sharp descents were hitting 40mph is quite easy, try stopping a 17st fat lad on wet rim brakes going down hill at that speed. I tried it while descending the maerdy mountain climb and ended up having a hot rim blowout 400yds from the bottom, it was scary as hell........wouldn't get that problem with disc brakes

Drago

Legendary Member
I ride all year round, all weather's.

If a new bike scratches your itch just for the he'll of it then who am I to deny a fellow cyclist of that joy? However, if your justification for doing so is a braking problem then its only fair to point out that other riders in similar circumstances don't have such problems, so another approach could resolve the issue for less.

If youre dead set on discs then go for it.

Top Bottom