Budget LH triple shifter for road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My novice neighbour has broken the LH shifter on his Triban 500 and can't afford a replacement. It's his birthday on Sunday and I'd like to help him out.

Has anybody got a working but cheap Sora or Claris left hand triple shifter/brake?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
My novice neighbour has broken the LH shifter on his Triban 500 and can't afford a replacement. It's his birthday on Sunday and I'd like to help him out.

Has anybody got a working but cheap Sora or Claris left hand triple shifter/brake?
The first two lines of your post sound like what's written on a Monopoly community chest card.
Sorry, I don't have one. If I did I would gladly post it on. Good luck!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Years ago @ColinJ kindly gave me a pair of shifters, which would have been perfect for this. I'm hoping some other kind soul has got a used pair knocking around their shed that they will sell me for small cash.

Brandane

Legendary Member

Since you're a decent sort :okay:, I will have a look in my loft. When I bought my Secteur, I quickly upgraded it from Sora to Tiagra to match the other bike. Should be a very low mileage Sora 9 speed triple shifter, 2011 vintage knocking about......

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Since you're a decent sort :okay:, I will have a look in my loft. When I bought my Secteur, I quickly upgraded it from Sora to Tiagra to match the other bike. Should be a very low mileage Sora 9 speed triple shifter, 2011 vintage knocking about......

That would be cool.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well that was quick; if only I could find stuff that I need quite as easily :rolleyes:.
PM me an address to post them to and they're yours. I even have a re-usable jiffy bag that some motorbike parts arrived in yesterday.

IMG_2049_zpsx9vdypvc.jpg

IMG_2052_zpslwf4izsi.jpg
:bravo:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
What a star! I'll post a pic of the happy cyclist once we've fitted the shifters. He's a Police Constable with a wife and two kids and a rickety old house to maintain so cash is short. He's struggling with a broken left shifter and putting a brave face on it so I'd love to help him, especially as he and his Mrs made me a superb birthday cake.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What a star! I'll post a pic of the happy cyclist once we've fitted the shifters. He's a Police Constable with a wife and two kids and a rickety old house to maintain so cash is short. He's struggling with a broken left shifter and putting a brave face on it so I'd love to help him, especially as he and his Mrs made me a superb birthday cake.
Have they arrived already? Only posted them yesterday morning, so well done Post Office!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well as I explained to @Brandane via PM, the shifters arrived on Saturday and were delivered to my neighbour's house because we were out cycling! So I went round, took the package and handed it straight back to him! Sunday morning I spent a couple of hours in the garage removing the old shifters then replacing all the cables with a couple of small improvements and some new bits so as to ensure that everything works perfectly. I had trouble getting the FD set up right because there's no adjuster in the cable and cable length is quite critical with a triple. Got it working fine except that going up from small to medium ring requires a small extra nudge of the lever, which is better than it not working at all! If it's still not satisfactory I'll fit a couple of in-line adjusters for him. The bar tape broke up when I removed it and luckily we had a spare package of Chris Boardman tape, which is nice and thick so I fitted that. The shifters work well and my neighbour is delighted with his birthday present. All we have to do is get some decent wheels on his Triban now as the originals are beginning to get a bit ropey, wheels not being Triban's strongest point.

IMG-20160808-WA0000_zps9xn4rcbo.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom