Building my Surly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Hi
I'm not sure where to post this, so, mods please move it to somewhere more appropriate!

I have never built a bike up from parts. I've pulled loads apart and then fettled and reassembled.
So I thought I'd share my experience.
I bought a Surly cross check as it ticked all the boxes for being usable as a winter hack/long distance comfortable bike that can be used fixed.
So having finally settled on the black one (easy to touch up scratches etc) I set about making my wish list of bits. Most of them came before my recent hol to the Alps and now I have returned I had planned to do a sort of mini blog, but I got carried away and just started bolting things on!
Anyway, this is how it went...........

Firstly, fit the headset cups to the frame. I read somewhere on Surlys site that it isn't necessary to face the head tube, so I went ahead (ha ha geddit!!) and fitted the cups to the frame using a length of threaded rod.
P1010426_zps4ffbd90f.jpg

Once they were fitted the rest of the bearings and fork were fitted and an old stem put on to hold it all together until I get the spacers/correct length stem sorted later in the build.
P1010427_zpsa8393b64.jpg

I decided early on that fixed was the way to go but had a bit of thinking to do, as most frames designed to be used fixed don't have clearance for the big tyres I want to put on. Having sorted the frame I now have to sort chainline. I've gone for a velosolo disk hub that are converted for rear use and give a 46mm chainline allowing for a non dished (ie stronger) back wheel. I've put on a stronglight track crank and fitted a slightly longer bottom bracket than stronglight advise and it seems to have worked! yippee!
P1010428_zps93d49b41.jpg

P1010429_zpsd06e8d6a.jpg

I like colour and so I decided early on that there would be some colour on the bike and as you can get quite a few bits in anodised red I decided to buy some red bolts to fill the holes and to mount some components.
The frame threads were all full of powdercoat and a quick zip down the hole with a tap had everything moving like new.
P1010433_zps64d9075d.jpg

P1010432_zpsaae98a19.jpg

Bolts fitted
P1010431_zps274657ed.jpg

I really thought about leaving it there until my spokes arrive so I can build the wheels but it was going well so I decided to put the brakes on.
Cantilevers on!
P1010434_zps9ec8558e.jpg

So this is where it's up to. Spokes and a few other bits are on their way and should arrive within a day or two, as are tyres/tubes etc Mudguards and saddle. Once I've built the wheels I can have a play with the seat pins from my other bikes to see if I should go with a straight or offset post and then work out how long a stem I want. I'm going to go for a 'silver' coloured stem/bar/seat pin combo, with black saddle and bar tape.
So it's finished for the day and tools away.
P1010435_zps7a50f3c2.jpg

P1010436_zpsa4479653.jpg

thanks for looking!

AndyRM

XOXO
Lush so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
A couple of packages arrived this morning. Including these fetching little numbers!
Red cages!!!!
P1010438_zpsa60a3492.jpg

And, the tinterweb tells me my spokes are due to be delivered today. Should be on its wheels by Monday.
:wahhey:

hoski

Veteran
The black, silver and red is absolutely gorgeous. That Stronglight chainset really suits the frame - it has the elegance of narrow steel tubes but still has a very modern look.

I also like your decision to go for a silver stem/bar/seatpost. It always looks better in my eyes.

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Thanks for the compliments. I'm starting to think it'll look too nice to use :rolleyes:
The courier arrived just after lunch so I ended up with another pile of bits!
With nothing much to do today I have time to turn this lot into wheels.
P1010440_zps2cc658f3.jpg

Front laced and ready to tension and true.
P1010441_zps36230e52.jpg

and the rear
P1010443_zpse247133a.jpg

Finished rear
P1010444_zps220b13a2.jpg

and with the front
P1010445_zps9fc4e17f.jpg

Lets see what they look like on the bike!
P1010446_zps6e9f5c27.jpg

Ohh yeah!!:hyper::wahhey:
Next job, sort the chain length and borrow a seat post from one of my other bikes to check sizing of stem etc.
Mudguards are on order and I'll hopefully order the last bits (stem/seatpost/bars) on Monday.
I'm tempted to change the chainring bolts for red ones just to break up the big lump of silver in the crank area. I'll leave it 'til later to decide. It might be a bit too much red?
Thanks for looking:cheers:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Nah thats ace. Get it ridden.

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Nice! I like the way you have kept the tubes shrouded while you are building it up.
Thanks, it seemed like a good idea to stop any ham fisted spanner/paint interaction!
I've got the chain on and put a stem and seat post on so I can measure and make sure of sizes etc, but it looks like a bike!
Stem/seatpost/spacers/pedals/bars on order. Should come mid week.
P1010447_zpsa8f5ac09.jpg

Top Bottom