C2C prep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbo891

im doing C2C in August and just after some advice regarding what to take whilst out there?

Fortunately we have a van who will carry most of the supplies but I'm just thinking about what I should carry on the bike?

I suspect weather will be ok.

We're doing it off road in two days.

Got tools, two tubes, 1 folding tyre, Co2 canister and 1 or 2 bottles.

Will have a pack a Mack thing in case of wind or little rain.

What sort of nutrition would I need and how many gels would I expect to get through?

Anything I have missed or any pointers from those who have cycled it before?

I'd only take a few gels - just one or two for the last couple of hours of each day. They give you a boost but that's followed by an energy lull so not ideal for consuming early in a ride. Fig rolls, homemade flapjack, malt loaf and dates would be on my snacks list - all fit easily in jersey pockets, are tasty, wholesome and full of carbs. Decent tyre levers and a snood/buff would be all I'd be taking in addition to your list.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I did the off road C2C a few years ago, got through 3 tubes although that was all from one incident involving a spoke poking holes though the tape (top tip, don't try to bunny hop over a cattle grid at 40 mph) . I used two bottles, one water one electrolyte. For food I think it was fruit pastels in the morning and a mars bar in the afternoon. Cafe stop for lunch. Wore waterproof shorts because we picked a wet few days to do it - took a waterproof jacket but was generally too hot and sweaty to bother with. Top highlights for me as someone who hates climbing was - the Old Coach Road and off-road up Hartside http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/off-road-sections/

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There's enough shops / cafe's on route to buy things; it's the latter part of each day where it'll be quieter.

I did C2C in 2012 solo and took too much. In the end I used a bit of the food I had and no spares. Your spares list seems fine although a a spare tyre may be too much (although I also took one).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Oh - one more thing. I did regret using knobblies, yes they were incredibly useful at times, but for by far the majority semi slicks or even full slicks would have been much better.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I would take a tyre boot and zip-ties on top of your list, and probably cut back on the gels. You need whatever you think will make you comfortable really :smile:

OP
OP
R

robbo891

Thanks for sharing your experiences! this is a great help! the big question for us was what are off road conditions like?
I did go out and buy a hybrid specially for this but would much prefer to use my roadie. The hybrid is semi slick 700x28, the roadie is 700x23

i was taking 2 tubes (now 3) and one folding tyre. got zip ties and bags and think im going to go natural with the food and just a couple of gels then.

we will be stopping for lunch so will eat decent there and grab a mars bar. itll be hot chocalate if i carry it on me lol.

anything else can pick up on route.

for those who have done it in 1 or 2 days did you enjoy it? or was it hell?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would count out the Old Coach Road straight away on even a hybrid.

Will%20and%20Scott%20on%20Dollywaggon.jpg

We saw a couple of guys try and tackle other bits of off road with varying degrees of success. There are plenty of options to skip the nastier off road sections (Old Coach Road and Hartside), the rest would be fine with the right tyres and a bit of finess. The path and moor out of Rookhope could be a little tricky too, I remember catching a pedal a few times on the edges of the deep ruts - but at least the landing is soft.

Personally I would not fancy trying it in a single day, but I am not exactly an ironman.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! this is a great help! the big question for us was what are off road conditions like?
I did go out and buy a hybrid specially for this but would much prefer to use my roadie. The hybrid is semi slick 700x28, the roadie is 700x23

i was taking 2 tubes (now 3) and one folding tyre. got zip ties and bags and think im going to go natural with the food and just a couple of gels then.

we will be stopping for lunch so will eat decent there and grab a mars bar. itll be hot chocalate if i carry it on me lol.

anything else can pick up on route.

for those who have done it in 1 or 2 days did you enjoy it? or was it hell?

2/3 days is better to enjoy the scenery with an overnighter or two...pub, beers and food etc. Also done it in a day a couple of times on the road bike, as already said you just skip a few off road sections out. Crawlysides a bugger with 80/90 miles on the legs mind.

https://app.strava.com/activities/139605559

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The old railway line out of Keswick is not great fun on skinny tyres, but it can be done ok. The Old Coach Road is out. As are some of the Pennine off road sections. If you get the Sustrans Map then it shows the on and off-road alternatives. I'd stick to the on-road ones myself.

For the doing it in a day thing. I keep meaning to ride the section from me to Newcastle Station in one go (it's around 200km), but never get round to it. 2/3 day swould make it less arduous and give you more time to take in the surroundings. I'm biased but the ride through the Lake District is worth taking a little time over. Especially the gated road in Mungrisdale :smile:

OP
OP
R

robbo891

i think (hope) the 2 days is ample and i definately want to enjoy the experience. stopping at a few cafes, taking some pics and generally just having fun. looking forward to the end of day pub grub and a few cheeky ones too!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
i think (hope) the 2 days is ample and i definately want to enjoy the experience. stopping at a few cafes, taking some pics and generally just having fun. looking forward to the end of day pub grub and a few cheeky ones too!

You may well be a stronger cyclist than me - lots of people are - but I think two days will be a slog.

About 75 miles a day takes some getting on any tour, let alone one focussed on off-road.

How many of you are there?

The greater that number, the slower you will go.

Obviously, I hope you prove me wrong and you all rattle across with time to spare.

But if you really want to take pics, have fun, visit cafes, take in the scenery etc, I suggest you think about doing the ride over three cycling days.

OP
OP
R

robbo891

There is three of us and the other two are not as strong as me! However it was there choice to do it in 2 to my surprisement!!

If they are seriously struggling then the van can pick them up and they can pick up where they left off, or they just might have to miss sections out but can't see them wanting to do that.

I think we have probably underestimated it so we shall see. It's going to be fun either way

Top Bottom