Call blocker for your house phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Like a lot of people, I was getting a lot of cold calls on the house phone, on average about 7 a day, it got to the point I would look at the number on the called display and just ignore it. it would say international, unavailable, withheld, or just numbers I did not recognise.

So last November I was off work for a week, and decided I was going to do something about it. so after a bit of research on the internet, I came across the "CPR call blocker" read all the reviews and sounded like just what I needed, did not really want to pay £39 but I did

arrived a few days later, took me 5 minutes to set up. you can programme it to block anything you want,
So I blocked all international, unavailable, withheld numbers, and it has a list of numbers build in to block.
There is a button on top of the unit so if a call does get through, press the button, and they won't get through again.

Well I've had this for a year now, and only 3 cold calls have got through in a year (and now they are blocked) when it blocks a call you here a little pip on the phone, then I just smile, thinking, another one blocked:smile:

The best £39 spent
Have a look here
http://www.cprcallblocker.com/

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The withheld number thing really winds me up as I can think of several organisations with whom I have regular contact whose phone numbers are withheld. Blocking them would be rather counter-productive. If I'm expecting a call, I answer it but if not I let the machine take care of it.

I registered with ... damn, can't remember what it's called but it's the thing that takes your number off the junk calls list, and ensure that my details are kept off the edited electoral roll register.

D

Deleted member 1258

We no longer have a house phone, on the mobile the problem I'm having is a bloke asking about massage parlour services, I've been getting calls and texts of him, I presume either its a prank or the parlour has a number very close to mine. I've blocked him, but he still gets through now and again.

stephec

Legendary Member
We no longer have a house phone, on the mobile the problem I'm having is a bloke asking about massage parlour services, I've been getting calls and texts of him, I presume either its a prank or the parlour has a number very close to mine. I've blocked him, but he still gets through now and again.
Are you still able to have an internet connection at home without a phone line?

And just out of interest, how much for a massage? :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
Register with the Telephone Preference Service
We are registered and have been for many years, we still get 4 or 5 strange number, withheld, unknown or international calls/day.

I bought a BT Cordless phone that blocks withheld, unknown or international numbers and up to 10 other numbers. The calls still went to our answerphone, clogging it in a couple of days, but don't ring the phone so they'd come in and get transferred to 1571. I've since got rid of 1571 so all that happens is the call logger on the phone tells me how many calls we've had and lists the number or says withheld, unknown or international and the time of the call.

The odd time a nuisance call gets through and I pick it up I'm afraid I'm terribly abrupt if there is a person on the other end of the line. Sadly all too often it's a recorded load of twaddle, so I put the phone down and block that number, in the ten possible slots on the phone.

D

Deleted member 1258

Are you still able to have an internet connection at home without a phone line?

And just out of interest, how much for a massage? :biggrin:

We still have a phone line, we just don't have a phone, the BT line came with free evening calls, you can't not have that apparently, but we have no other call packages on it, costs about £15 a month a big saving when compared with our previous set up.
I believe you can get a wireless setup done by one of the the mobile phone companies, I'm sure thats my sons setup in his bedsit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs M

Guru
We tried TPS, waste of time. Eventually went ex directory, which helped a lot but still get nuisance calls.
Usually if I tell the caller we are ex directory for that reason they apologise and hang up.
Sometimes they want an argument, in which case I hang up. Call blocker gadget sounds an ideal solution.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 3392146, member: 9609"]The main reason why we have a telephone is because we have three very elderly parents and we want them to be able to contact us, therefore we need to answer every phone call. Blocking number withheld would stop the likes of hospitals contacting us, so that is not really an option.

We are having to tolerate 4 or 5 nonsense calls a day, many of which are recorded messages It's a crap situation but at the moment I can't se a way out of it.
And as others have said TPS is a pointless waste of time.[/QUOTE]

You might like the BT8500 telephone which is equipped with Truecall. Block up to 1000 numbers, have a contact list of 200 numbers. It gets great reviews. http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advanced-Blocker-Cordless-Handset/dp/B00LZTHUEO

GC

albion

Guru
TPS helps immensely, at least with the more legitimate business calls.

I anyone else gets through after say 6 months you know they are scam companies.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've been with TPS (that's what they're called!!) for several years now and hardly get any junk calls. Though that's probably jinxed it and I'll start getting 20-30 a day from now on.

young Ed

Veteran
we only get 2 or 3 a month maximum, generally from the 'windows support line'
last time i just started asking them how there day has been and what the weathers like......in Swedish

next time i will play along with it but not do anything with the computer and then after a few minutes ask if the fact i have an Apple Mac is a problem? (i do run Windows really)

maybe i have too much time on my hands?
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom