Calling all Nexus 7 owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
2012 Nexus 7 here. Lollipop has really screwed the thing up. It will not run Facebook, no biggy as I have it for keeping up with my grown up kids and little else. I removed it from my Nexus after the update and also removed a lot of little used Apps that I was perfectly happily running on KitKat. This speeded up a little. As has been said a lot of App updates have been released, presumably to cope with Lollipop.

Regarding Lollipop:-
I really resent them foisting Gmail as the default for all mails (For various reasons I have 5 email accounts.) Does anyone know of a decent app for Lollipop that runs several mail accounts and allows a better navigation than the crappy Gmail one? I particularly want a combined view of emails from different accounts, something that I can't do on the new Gmail. Help needed please!

Also we lost Gallery in the update. As a photographer running several cameras and using the Nexus as an on site viewer this caused me issues, fortunately Gallery KK runs on Lollipop and is almost identical to the old Gallery except it has, in the free version, some adverts. If it continues to run OK I may well get the paid version later.

Finally:-
My elder son has rolled back his 2012 Nexus 7 to KitKat and I'll get him to roll mine back when I see him. For me Lollipop has gone a long way to persuade me to never update an OS on a tablet again. My Nexus came with Ice Cream Sandwich and updated to KitKat with no issues so I didn't hesitate to go to Lollipop. BIG MISTAKE!
I used to use K9 mail. It's still available, it's free and it has a unified inbox. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9

I believe Photos has replaced Gallery. I started using Photos when it first appeared in KitKat and haven't looked back. It might be worth a look before spending any money.

My 2012 Nexus 7 started to go a little slower so I reset it. It's been fine since.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
It is at 5.0, I wasn't aware there was a later one as I believe they pulled Lollipop after the howls from Nexus 7 users. I've just checked and system update tells me I'm up to date???
Does AquaMail have a Combined view where you can see all your mails in one inbox?

I didn't get an alert for version 5.0 so maybe they are releasing 5.0.1 to address the problems.

I cant remember if AquaMail does the combined inbox as I don't use that function, you can download it and use it in "lite" version for free then if you like it you can buy a code to unlock it to the "pro" version which lets you do more. Download it and see what you think, there are pages and pages and pages of settings you can change so you will probably find the combined inbox in there somewhere. I tried all the other email clients and for what I wanted they were useless, I liked this one best as it has so many settings so I can make it work exactly as I want it to.

andyfraser

Über Member
While I think of it Google's AOSP Email app (installed by default, the one with the yellow envelope icon) has a unified inbox. It's not great but it works. That was the email app I used before Gmail would work with non-Gmail accounts.

byegad

Legendary Member
Thanks both. Andy, can you tell me where to find a unified inbox on the app you describe, which is the default for Lollipop?

andyfraser

Über Member
I've just had a look but the Email app just takes me to Gmail now. I don't know whether they're phasing it out or whether I've set something. K9 is still around and free though and was very good last time I used it.

andyfraser

Über Member
My 2013 Nexus 7 is running very well on 5.0.1. It's the only device to get it so far so I can't speak for my other devices.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No sign of Lollipop on mine yet

OP
OP
Leedsbusdriver

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
[QUOTE 3475160, member: 259"]Anyone got lollipop 5.0.2 on a Nexus 5 yet? 5.0.1has not been a very happy experience so far. In fact, calling a spade a spade, It"s shite.[/QUOTE]
Mine is still 5.0.1 but it runs fine. What problems are you having?
On another note my nexus 7 hasn't updated to lollipop yet either.

andyfraser

Über Member
[QUOTE 3475160, member: 259"]Anyone got lollipop 5.0.2 on a Nexus 5 yet? 5.0.1has not been a very happy experience so far. In fact, calling a spade a spade, It"s shite.[/QUOTE]
Only my 2012 Nexus 7 has 5.0.2 and it's much better for it. My Nexus 5, 6, 2013 7 and 9 are all on 5.0.1 and running very well, baring a few little glitches.

I hear 5.0.3 is due soon with 5.1 being released next month. It looks like 5.0.2 was just to fix issues with 2012 Nexus 7s.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
So far not terrible, my 2012 nexus 7 hasn't been rendered unusable. Not sure I like the notifications on the lock screen though.

There's an Android easter egg in the form of a flappy bird clone when you click aggressively on the Android version number tab in the About section in the settings.

Top Bottom